Chasing down oil leaks...
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: nearly Kingaroy, Qld.
EA engine problems - old problem revisited..
Hi guys just bringing up an old topic that I discussed my current car problems..
1. Suspected head gasket with water in oil.
2. Compression even across 1-4,6 with 5 (20psi down).
3. Changed white oil and still coolant loss but no more visible water in oil (just small residue that requires another change).
4. Rough idle but runs well at highway revs.
5. Temp gauge goes up and down correlating with throttle input.
6. Removed all spark plugs expecting to see no. 5 plug polished from water but all look fine.
7. Cooling system pressurises and retains pressure under cap even after a few days of sitting.
8. Friend thinks that it may not be the head gasket but being a CFI it could be a corroded intake manifold with water entering with the air/fuel mixture via the heater pipe.
9. Very occassionally when being cold started when it is just about to fire there is a loud clunk and stalls. This has been occuring for over two years.
10. A mechanic told me a while ago that rough idle can be caused by the intake manifold spitting a gasket although from external inspection it looks okay to me.
I think that is a complete list that I can come up with...
Is there any problem which may cause a majority of these symptoms/problems? I think that I should just try and source a second hand MPFI engine to replace the old CFI which would probably cost the same as getting a head gasket fixed. Although if it was the intake manifold problem then that would be cheap and easy to replace. All the problems to me sound upper engine (head/head gasket/intake manifold)
related although I am stuck in that I can't through huge money at it to get it fixed and am looking at a cost effective way of fixing the bi-atch.
1988 EA Falcon Pearl Green
Head gasket replacement count - 1