ea engine rebuild and hot up - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2004, 02:41   #1 (permalink)

ea engine rebuild and hot up

hey guys

my ea mulit point engine is due for rebuilding, i wanted to spend a bit of money of it and the drive line to get some good power figures at the wheels

what things cant i do to it , i want to upgrade everything possible to do with the engine to perfermance parts.

i was thinking stage 2 cam, 2.5 exgahst and extractors , head done up with bigger valves ported and polished and machined right down for high compression, an lsd, computer tuned to all the new mods, the block balanced blue printed all that sorta stuff

i have a 5 speed manuel gearbox , how much power can that handle?

what other thigns can i do, how much roughly will it cost? and what sort of power do you think i will be getting?
red ea s-pack 5 speed, engine, 4 wheels + spare, steering wheel, brakes, suspension, exhaust, 20w x 4 stock standerd stereo system, diff (rear wheel one), clutch, seats (including 2 retractable front seats) all with seat belts. Performance Mods : air filter removed, fuel filter removed, some guards taken off for weight reduction.
daza_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2004, 03:01   #2 (permalink)
YES its a 5 Speed!!

Re: ea engine rebuild and hot up

the T5 manual gearbox will handle roughly 250 flywheel kilowatts and about 400nm at the fw

regarding the hp issue my advice is to go secondhand turbo hunting... ask some of the others on ideal turbo size as i dnt kno sh*t... lol

For Sale: 2001 Yamaha WR400F
PM me for info
Supa R00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 03:09   #3 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Exhaust, EF/EL intake definitely. Manual is a good start, think about a 3.23 or 3.45 LSD out of an EF Fairmont or something....
These motors respond really well to simple breathing mods, even just doing a port+polish will drop the 0-100 time down to 7 sec.

Cost on these items - all s/h, all ex fitting:
Diff - $4-$800 depending on which one and who you find.
Intake - I usually sell them for $400 with EL computer.
Exhaust - $900 new, $300 from a wrecker hehe
Headwork - How long is a piece of string? Minimum $300 for basic work.

My advice would be, if you want an aftermarket computer, stick an EF wiring loom in it. Maybe even the dash! Bolts straight in...
Anyway. The reason you'd want EF is that it's already wired up for SEFI, which you'd really want for serious applications IMO :)

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 12:01   #4 (permalink)

how hard is it to put an ef wiring loom in an ea, and if i put the dash in as well does it just bolt and plug right in?
red ea s-pack 5 speed, engine, 4 wheels + spare, steering wheel, brakes, suspension, exhaust, 20w x 4 stock standerd stereo system, diff (rear wheel one), clutch, seats (including 2 retractable front seats) all with seat belts. Performance Mods : air filter removed, fuel filter removed, some guards taken off for weight reduction.
daza_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 14:49   #5 (permalink)
Gonna fit a twin cam

Rather than start a new thread, Im thinking of doing a similar thing with mine, except building a spare engine out of the car, then swapping it over. Are there rebuild kits available for the bottom end, pistons etc? If so, whats a good brand to go for?
Old 01-23-2004, 23:52   #6 (permalink)
Gonna fit a twin cam

also, which bottom end would be best to start with?
Old 01-24-2004, 02:31   #7 (permalink)

Theoretically, fitting an EF loom and dash to an EA would only necessitate changing the head/taillight plugs. You'd most likely change the door and roof looms over as well, the power window plugs are the same cos I've got EF power windows in mine and the door looms are from an EB XR6.
The dash does bolt straight in, however there are a few issues because you need to move the handbrake down to the floor.

Low NA - I'd be inclined to start with the AU bottom end if you want hell performance, otherwise the EF/EL one should be good.
The AU one comes with a factory stud girdle and revised crank/rod angles and will reputedly handle 32 pounds of boost, though I have yet to see this figure proven hehe.
ACL do good-quality, affordable pistons etc, but bear in mind that you might not have to go that far, so buy and inspect your block first. About half the time, I don't bother boring out the blocks I get, but just freshen the rings and bearings, as the bores are still fine.

Alex

EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Old 01-24-2004, 02:36   #8 (permalink)
Looking in YOUR bathroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelEB
Theoretically, fitting an EF loom and dash to an EA would only necessitate changing the head/taillight plugs
OHHHHHHHHH how i wish that was true

diffrent dash conectors, diffrent engine conectors (coil pac vs dizzy). NOTHING is the same. Also the EF/L uses a data bus line to power all instruments. The EA-D Interiors wont like it.

Ill take it as a complement i think.............
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 02:58   #9 (permalink)

Yeh but if you change the dash too......
I'll give you the engine ancilliaries tho :)
However you could always fit an EF ignition system as well as the intake. This would realistically necessitate an EF timing cover/pulley AFAIK

EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech