Ea falcon will not start - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2004, 18:38   #1 (permalink)

Ea falcon will not start

i have an 88 EA fairmont that will not start. i lent the car to a friend and he said that he started the car and went to drive off but it just died. so i searched the forums and have found that the TFi module is a common problem so i replced it but it still will not spark, what else could be wrong?
NoFrills is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2004, 18:41   #2 (permalink)

Re: Ea falcon will not start

and can someone tell me how to check if there is a spark. i dont know if i am checking it right by takin off a lead and looking in the end of it while someone cranks the engine?
Old 11-18-2004, 19:23   #3 (permalink)
Chasing down oil leaks...

I take the plug out and leave it in the lead and rest it on the rocker cover. Then get someone to crank the engine and I look for spark. I'd pretty sure it has to be earthed to get a spark..

I do not condone you doing this because if you get booted or short the car then I'll feel bad and you'll be shitty or worse..

But apart from the TFI it could be the dizzy, coil, or even fuel - can u hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key to ignition?

If you have RAQC, NRMA or whatever the appropiate state roadside assistance mob is then get em to check it out - they'll tell you straight away if there is spark or not..

Additionally you can buy a spark tester thing that sits in the end of the lead and shoots a spark out.. Thats probably the safest way..

Try and get hold of a multimeter and do some basic tests on the coil, dizzy, etc with the help of a repair manual, its cheaper than just throwing parts at it..

Dan..

Axeman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 20:25   #4 (permalink)

i took the saprk plug out and with lead still connected i cranked it but no spark. i can't here the fuel pump prime but i pulled off a fuel line and fuel sprayed me in the face so there must be fuel pressure. i will have to get hold of a service manual. thanks anyway
Old 11-18-2004, 20:31   #5 (permalink)
Chasing down oil leaks...

That could be residual pressure. When you turn the key to ignition, do you hear a "click" after about one second? Its easier with the bonnet open.

BTW when installing a TFI you really should use some thermal compund grease becasue they are very heat sensitive - and so naturally ford put them near the block under the inlet manifold.

Axeman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 23:06   #6 (permalink)

yeah i hear a click when i turn the key, i didnt know that was the fuel pump tho
Old 11-18-2004, 23:39   #7 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

That click is the fuel pump prime relay.
Easiest way to check for spark is to pull the lead off, stick a screwdriver in the end ( make sure it has an insulated handle ) hold the screw driver about 2-3mm off the shock tower bolt and get someone to crank the engine. You should see a blueish spark jump to the bolt. Do this for every plug.
If it doesnt have spark I would say the coil is dead, this is common on these cars

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 20:22   #8 (permalink)

i dont know what TBI or MPI means. if MPI stands for multi-point-injecton then that's what it is.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:30   #9 (permalink)

If you've replaced the TFI and still have no spark ........ Try the coil.
WhiteOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech