EA Overheating - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2003, 04:04   #1 (permalink)

EA Overheating

I have an EA which is having a heap of heating/gauge trouble. It has been showing hot on the gauge, but when the car is switched back to accessories, it is only in the normal range. I have changed the sender and checked the thermostat but it has not fixed it. Today I towed a trailor and it overheated properly. I am planning to take it to NATRAD to get the radiator blown out. Has anyone experienced something similar and what did you do.

Thanks
Dave_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2003, 06:37   #2 (permalink)

Re: EA Overheating

mine was a short in the wire and if it is an auto make sure that it doesn't have an leaks and is full or oil as this increases the temp really fast and when you turn the car off the oil is no long pumped through and the temp drops..

this was my problem.. but let us know how you go
d_slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 17:11   #3 (permalink)

It is a manual, and I have it booked in to get the radiator cleaned and a full check tomorrow. I will post a note once I know what is going on.
Dave_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2003, 08:21   #4 (permalink)

The gauges are pretty prone to playing up, if you pull the dash out there is screws that make the contacts to the gauges, spray some CRC contact cleaner or even wd40 on them and wiggle the screws around and the connectors, this should be enough to fix any dash problems, as with overheating a good radiator flush, and a leak test to see if you have a blown head gasket would be a good idea, when they blow head gaskets they start to run hot.
EA Turbo Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 06:20   #5 (permalink)
AKA: Spaniard

Could it be the thermostat itself?
Old 10-05-2003, 18:12   #6 (permalink)

They block up good over time by depositing shit in the bottom. Most people don't notice the problem till the radiator is about 1/3 blocked. A flush out should fix it, but they should take one of the end tanks off to do it properly.
not ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 04:18   #7 (permalink)

The thermostats do have a tendency to play up in them, i have found generally what happens is when you first start the car from cold, you take it for a drive you will slowly watch the temperature gauge go up, and it will just keep on going up until nearly off the gauge, then it will open and drop right down to below normal, and after that they operate ok for that drive until next time you start the car cold, if you have overheated your car then you should replace the thermostate as it damages them and won't function properly afterwards.

I have purchased new thermostat's and had problems with them, for some reason ford changed them, and then changed them again, you need to make sure you get one with the check ball on it, as this helps bleed pressure around the thermostat vital for it to operate correctly.
EA Turbo Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech