EA Spark Issues & new member - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2004, 18:18   #1 (permalink)

EA Spark Issues & new member

Gday

A quick introduction,

My name is Richard, Dick for short, I am the proud owner of an 1989 EA Fairmont Ghia. Its a 3.9 MPEFi and 3 speed Auto. It has all the fairmont stuff, cruise, climate, velour, blade alloys, yada yada. It also doesnt go at the moment (no spark). I am aware of the EA and there problems with spark.

I pulled the coil off the block (what a mongrel job that is!) and tested it as per my instructions in my Max Ellery manual. The coil tested ok but it did have a crack in the body of the unit (I'd imagine they must get very hot screwed to the block of the engine). Anyway I qucikly attached the new coil by letting it hang from the fuel rail and suprise I still have no spark.

it the electrical diagram in my manual it says the coil is earthed. Is this correct?

I did pull the plug off the dizzy and tested to see if I had +12 volts on the red wire (from the -ve side of the coil) and I do. So I think the coil is ok.

Also can someone tell me how to test the TFI unit on the dizzy and also the wiring loom to see if it has problems.

I am really keen to get this car going so I can do something with it.

Thanks Dick
rlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2004, 05:45   #2 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Re: EA Spark Issues & new member

See http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...iagnostic.html for how to test the TFI module (these test work for Aussie Ford FI modules as well). Connect a noid light (cheap test light usually used to check injector pulse wiring) to the plug on the coil, turn the engine over and see if the noid light flashes. Connect a grounded spark plug at the distributor end of the high tension lead from the coil and see if it flashes when you turn the engine over. These tests should isolate the problem.
Old 10-21-2004, 23:57   #3 (permalink)

Hi Blue and others,

Think I have nutted the problem to the TFi module in the dizzy.

I used the documentation on the website mentioned above and found my to have an open circuit on a few terminals. Thanks all for your help.

Maybe I'll get this beast running tonight!

Dick
Old 10-22-2004, 04:06   #4 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

If you are any good with electronics (surface mounted stuff) the module can be opened and repaired (usually failed resistors and or capacitors).
Old 10-22-2004, 04:31   #5 (permalink)

Gday Again,

I didn't bother opening the module and looking. Its an aftermarket one (ie not bosch) and the heat sink paste had not been spread properly.

I bought a new one at repco today and along with a new coil (old one had crack), the EA is running. Now this machine had not been going in a while and once the hydraulic tappets had bled up, the engine ticks over beautifully. So I guess this weekend I'll continue chasing faults with the car (washer bottle, flashers flash too fast, air suspension, towbar wiring) and a nice little power steering leak (think it is the switch).

anyway thanks for all the help, im glad this beast is running.

Dick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech