Ford Forums banner

EA Vacuum tubes

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  psycho chicken 
#1 ·
hi,

I need some help locating some vacuum tubes around the motor. There are three tubes that I'm interested in and they come through the firewall on the right hand side of the car.

1. A green tube that goes to the hot water tap.
2. A black one that goes to the vacuume tree on the inlet manifold.
3. Is there a third tube? This one I don't know about. There's a rubber hose that comes from the thermostat housing (from next to the temperature sender) that travels under the air cleaner to the back of the motor and looks like it plugs into something as there is a connection on the end of the tube.

What does the tube from the thermostat housing do? There are two of them.

Can someone please take some photos from the right hand side of the motor and of these vacuum tubes and tell me where they go?

thanks.

#2 ·
This tube goes into the dash (part of the vaccum circuit). If you pull your glove box out, there is a connection with all vaccum tubes in it. One of the tubes from the thermostat housing end up here. Not all cars have this one, my book sais that I don't have one! and I do. As far as I know, it shuts something off when the car heats up, i.e airconditioning or opens up the heater circuit! But the connection on the end of that hose is probably supposed to join it to another piece of tube, that goes into the dash on the right hand side.

#3 ·
It's a switch pretty much. Above 100 degrees it switches to recirc mode. One of the hoses comes from the vac tree, the other runs back through the firewall.

Cars with ACC don't have it as it's electonically switched.

The green one controls the heater tap, the other black one supplies vacuum to the vacuum tank I believe.

#5 ·
2 from the heater tap? You mean the switch on the thermostat housing?

#6 ·
From memory.. now this is going back a bit...

One line from the vacuum tree beside the thermostat goes back to a black tube that goes into the passenger compartment to switch over to recirc mode, the other one goes to a valve on the underside of the tennis racket that has a bimetal strip on it and goes to the vacuum valve at the front of the tennis racket to control the hotair flap for the heater stove pipe?

Then you have the black and green ones from the passenger compartment that go to the heater tap and the vacuum tree on the back of the manifold.

#7 ·
Sorry psycho chicken, you are correct, the two black tubes are from the thermostat housing, not the heater tap.

Eskyboi, all tubes are connected to the tennis racket (unless they're wrong, but I never played with them), but it's like you said.

Right, went to the wrecker today (what a trip) to find out what the drum was. There were a few combinations within the EA lot, but what I settled on was a black tube to the vacuum tree, a green tube to the heater tap, and an ORANGE one from the thermostat housing (connects to a rubber tube from the thermostat housing). All tubes are now accounted for, but I still can't get the fresh/recycle working which may depend on coolant temperature???

Anyway, thanks for all your help, it was very much appreciated.

#8 ·
Try swapping the hoses around on the thermostat housing plug thing (yay for technical terms).

I dunno how it works exactly, workshop manual says under 100 degrees it's on fresh and above 100 it switches to recirc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.