EAII engine trouble - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2004, 09:33   #1 (permalink)

EAII engine trouble

My car decided to die recently so I logged on the net and found these forums that seem to have the solution too everyones problems

My problem is that my stock EAII MPFI Spak (except for a stainless steel muffler) is shooting out massive amounts of white smoke in idle and runs very rough. While driving at 70Km/h and over the car seems fine, still shoots out white smoke but not that much and runs reasonably smooth. After about 15 minutes of driving it seems to have drunk about 2 litres of water and when I took the rocker cover off the oil was milky golden in colour. From what I've read on here that means that I've most likely need a new head gasket.

Before my car started making white smoke it use to enjoy poluting the environment with black smoke! I thought it was just something that EA's did but from reading on here there seems to be something else wrong with it

I have never gotten more than 350km out of a tank of petrol so thats something like 19l/100km I think. Optimax doesn't even give me better milage like their pamphlet said it would! All my spark plugs are black all the time. When I change the plugs and the oil it takes only about 2000km before they go black. Is that from a faulty oxygen and/or MAP sensor or have I got some other problem with the engine?

I figured that since I'm going to have to check the head gasket out I may as well fix everything else that needs fixing on the way down to them and if it's easy to upgrade then to upgrade bits that will make my car go better. What mods/upgrades would you guys recommend I do to give my car a bit more power without going too crazy and what tools will I need to buy I only have a basic socket and spanner kit.
jajig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2004, 10:37   #2 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Re: EAII engine trouble

Well white smoke is caused by burning oil. There are many things that could cause oil burning. Bad rings, head gaskets, valve seals, bearings, cracked block. More than likely since we are talking an EA here it is the headgasket issues commonly known to be the issue.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 10:37   #3 (permalink)
Gonna miss the ED :(

ill let someone else answer the other questions.
but modifcations for power,your best bet would be a set of extractors and a 2.5inch exhaust system.
upgrading your exhaust system will give you a notable increase in power and much better fuel economy. Oh and of course, a nice note!
Old 05-16-2004, 10:40   #4 (permalink)

oh and welcome to the FORUMS!
Old 05-16-2004, 10:50   #5 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Welcome to the forums jajig.

Sounds like you have a few problems there. How many kms has the engine done?

Have you reset the computer at all?
Old 05-16-2004, 12:19   #6 (permalink)

The car has done 240 000km. I think the head was replaced around 150 000km which is when I bought it 4 years ago. I've never actually touched the computer (don't even know where it is or what it looks like) but if disconnecting the battery resets it then it's been done alot

What brand of exhaust system would be best? I get trade prices at repco so I can generally afford the better stuff if it makes a difference :s5
jajig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 13:47   #7 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Wanted to ask if you have oil on the plugs or is it carbon build up.

If your plugs are oil covered it is an indication of advanced engine wear. When the oil enters the combustion chamber and covers the core nose of the spark plug, the spark no longer arcs across the gap. Rather it takes the easier path to ground by tracking down the oil on the core nose. This results in a complete cylinder misfire condition. You can check for worn valve guides, valve stem seals and/or piston rings.

If your plugs are black from carbon build up indicates a rich air fuel mixture, weak ignition or wrong heat range spark plug (too cold). These carbon-based deposits are conductive, much like oil fouling, and will allow the voltage coming out of the center electrode of the spark plug to track down the core nose rather than jumping the gap. This will result in an engine misfire and further aggravate the carbon fouled condition.

Check for correct plug heat range. On fi engines, check for sticking injectors, malfunctioning cold start valves and/or circuits. Also check for correct fuel pressure specifications.

On computer controlled vehicles, the "limp home" computer mode will always result in a rich condition. Therefore, it is imperative that you check the operation and condition of the on-board computer system.

On carbureted vehicles, check choke and choke pulloff, high float level, and needle and seat condition.

On all engines, severe vacuum leaks can decrease manifold vacuum, resulting in a rich condition. Weak and/or damaged secondary ignition systems will fail to spark across the gap lowering combustion chamber temperatures and promoting carbon deposits. This condition could also result from poor cylinder compression.

Regarding the mods I will let others talk to you about it. Since I am not too familiar with EA mods.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 21:35   #8 (permalink)

doesnt matter what brand exhaust you get(2.5inch) but a mandrel bent one is preffered as it flows better. Lukey mufflers are fairly good, lots of people use them on the forums aswell as magnaflow they are very good, but expensive. Extractors can be bought anywhere from 100 bucks(2nd hand) to 600 bucks(NEW pacemakers etc).
Old 05-17-2004, 03:11   #9 (permalink)

Smile Re: EAII engine trouble

White smoke is a sign that the automatic oil is getting into the manifold .
tango7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 03:33   #10 (permalink)
MLS

Smile Re: EAII engine trouble

Geez, talk about giving the new guy the run around....
Blue smoke is usually engine oil

Black smoke is usually excessive fuel

Smelly white smoke is usually trans fluid

Non smelly white smoke is usually brake fluid (caused when the brake master cylinder is leaking at the same time as having a split in the booster diaphram)

White condensation / steam usually caused by water entering the combustion chamber.

Because you have what sounds like steam coming out the exhaust coupled with high water consumption and milky engine oil I would suggest that you definitely have at least a head gasket problem, You may also find the the head is corroded around one or more of the water galleries in the head.

As for always blowing black smoke previously, I would look at the MAP sensor and also the O2 sensor. Check the MAP sensor first because if it has been running rich for a while the O2 sensor would be knackered either way.

My opinion.... take it or leave it
MLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech