eb ford idle problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2004, 20:09   #1 (permalink)

eb ford idle problem

Hi,The car that I have is a 1991 ford falcon eb auto sedan and this is the first car with an onboard computer that I have owned and I have some knowledge how to repair cars.Bought this car 4 weeks ago.The problem that I have is that the car has a tendency to keep on running on,by this I mean that that it feels like the chock is stuck and the engine is running too cold.i went to a ford dealer to get a genuine water thermostat for normal running temperature and asked him about this wired sensor that sits under the carby with wires coming from it.i said that if I push the pin down (looks like some type of plunger)on it the high idle will drop down to normal.The engine doesnt drop revs until the car stops moving.The dealer said that this is an adjustment to do with running at 7 or 9 volts and is quite easy to adjust at the carby cam adjustment.could some one explain this adjustment procedure for me.i do not have any meters to take any readings for this.maybe trial and error.
only ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2004, 00:44   #2 (permalink)

Re: eb ford idle problem

By carby I assume you mean 'throttle body' and the thing with the wires is the ISC.
Did you perform a self test on the computer?
If so what error codes were returned?
WhiteOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 00:57   #3 (permalink)

Well this sits out and below the carby and is quite visable,the device pushes up to increase revs.Don't know how to do any tests on it.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:24   #4 (permalink)

Yep, It's the Idle Speed Control Motor.
Drop me a PM with your email addy and I'll send you a scan from the workshop manual
Old 09-19-2004, 02:29   #5 (permalink)

Hi,this would really be appeciated if you could send that info.thanks
johnspears1@hotmail.com
Old 09-19-2004, 02:49   #6 (permalink)

Sent :)
Old 09-19-2004, 04:37   #7 (permalink)

Got it.just what i was looking for.Thanks for that.Saves me $80 at the ford dealer ship..cheers
Old 09-21-2004, 02:13   #8 (permalink)

I had the same problem, and the reason was the faulty power steering pressure switch. It generated a signal as if power steering was activated, which required some extra fuel. The car was going up to 60 km/h at idle speed. The idle rpm returned to normal only at full car stop.
Pavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech