EB Head gasket changed, now overheating! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2004, 01:06   #1 (permalink)
GUN.40L

frown EB Head gasket changed, now overheating!

Hey guys i just changed the head gasket on my ebII, the reason for changing it was cause it was leaking water out behind the headers, the temperature wasnt too bad, it was a little high, it used to sit in the middle most of the time, even on cool days.
Anyways now after i changed the head gasket i thought it would fix this temperature problem although now the car is over heating. The needle goes up past the L, it went back down to half way after a while, as it does this you now notice the needle twitching a little bit too.
Anyway im sure its not the head as there is no pressure in the hoses and my mate a qualified mechanic did it. He said maybe all the residue and dirt from cleaning the head has filtered through to the radiator and thus now the radiator needs to be serviced and flushed. i was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if you know why this has happened?
Any help would be great! Im going to be taking the radiator out and servicing it on tuesday. Im hoping thats the problem. Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2004, 01:58   #2 (permalink)

Re: EB Head gasket changed, now overheating!

I'd have a look at where the wire joins up to the temperature sender, if you havent allready. Make sure the contact surfaces are clean and tight. When that wire is disconnected, the gauge reads hot.
Falcon S, MPFI, red, Resprayed with colour coded bumpers, motorvator extractors, walker hi-flow cat, 2 & 1/2 exhaust system, cold air intake using hi-flow K&N pod filter (heat sheilded), stage 3 crow cam with a vernier cam timing gear. Severly ported and polished EB 4.0L head, shimmed valve springs - compression ratio (9.5:1 +). Making 145rwkw!!
Grant Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 02:25   #3 (permalink)
GUN.40L

I disconeccted it, the needle dropped down to cold, then i put it back in and it went back to where it was, the car is heating up as the temperature in then engine bay was really hot. Im kinda scared to drive it now so i dont blow the head gasket that i just put in!
Old 04-11-2004, 02:31   #4 (permalink)
CRUISING

i kinda have the same thing... the head gasket was changed and the temp started to creep up as the kilometres went up. I'm goin to get it power flushed at a radiator place and see what happens. I have already flushed it myself and installed a new genuine ford thermostat as well.

cheers
Old 04-11-2004, 02:33   #5 (permalink)

Ford don't flush out the casting sand properly at the factory, this deposits in the bottom of the radiator over time slowly blocking it. It starts to run hot (above 1/3) when the rad get about 1/3-2/5 blocked. Get it flushed out at a radiator shop. Also crud gets jambed in the front of the radiator.
not ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 02:35   #6 (permalink)
GUN.40L

Its a bitch isnt it! i got a new thermo too, even if the thermo was faulty its still opening up, once it does so the temperature creeps down, thermo stays open and the temp goes back up. So it aint the thermo, i was told that maybe its the water pump? although id rather do the radiator first i think. I hate it when one thing leads to another! oh whatta glorious 4 weeks of owning the beast! grrr!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech