EB Timing problem help urgent - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
┬╗ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2003, 22:15   #1 (permalink)
green 91 EB

EB Timing problem help urgent

Hi there im in need of some help please
I was changing the ignition controll module on my 3.9l CPI EB and droped the dizzy there for the rotor button / gear got moved t make matters worse (stupid me) marked the dizzy with whiteboard marker not a perment marker and it got wiped off . anyone know how to find the right spot or how to fix .
I know i ave to get it to TDC but i dont really know how to or what else i need to do.

Any help or link to osme help would be great and very appriciated .

chears
Chris
chrisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2003, 03:18   #2 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Re: EB Timing problem help urgent

Ok to get TDC:
a) take all the spark plugs out.
b) Rotate engine by hand (clockwise) .
c) Put thumb over # 1 plug hole so you can feel compression stroke; rotate several time so you get the feel of the the difference between compression (pressure on thumb) and no-compression/exhaust (sucks thumb) upward stroke of # 1 piston.
d) On end of upward compression stroke timing marks of crankshaft pulley should align with TDC mark on timing cover.
e) Now replace distributor so rotor points to number plug lead on cap (setting mark of distributor internal cover) and the TFI module is at about 60 degrees to a vertical line running through length of car (i.e 60 degrees to side of rocker cover).
f) Note apply an engine assembly lube to distributor drive teeth before putting it in.
g) Note distributor will move sightly when you put it in so start at a different angle so it ends up at 60 degrees. Some internal covers have a start mark that makes this bit easy.
h) Setbase timing. Run engine until warm,turn A/c etc off, attach timing light, set diagnostic function (have you a code reader if not ground self test input with a jumper) . Self test mode will set revs to 1300/1600 (so attach a tacho). Ajust timing as normal (10 degrees BTDC).

Last edited by Aussiblue; 08-16-2003 at 03:26.
Aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 03:22   #3 (permalink)
gone

AussieBlue

Your a legend mate, one of these days someone will be able to help you out!

I doubt it as your a fountain of knowledge!
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 03:29   #4 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Actually someone did a couple of years ago. If you look at my old NB engine rebuild post you'll see someond posted that engineering bulletin about using the the wrong inlet gasket on the MPEFI engine that solved a problem for me.
Old 08-16-2003, 04:53   #5 (permalink)
green 91 EB

Sourry dont know what happened there
but as i was saying your a legend dude thanks heaps I owe ya a carton what do ya drink and where do i send it

Chears mate
Old 08-16-2003, 05:20   #6 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Thanks muchly for the thought but you don't owe me a thing; this is what the Forum is all about - helping each other for nix.
Old 08-16-2003, 16:09   #7 (permalink)
green 91 EB

Well if your sure but thanks alot really appriciated :)
Old 08-18-2003, 01:56   #8 (permalink)
donuts2001

Quote:
Ok to get TDC:
a) take all the spark plugs out.
b) Rotate engine by hand (clockwise) .
c) Put thumb over # 1 plug hole so you can feel compression stroke; rotate several time so you get the feel of the the difference between compression (pressure on thumb) and no-compression/exhaust (sucks thumb) upward stroke of # 1 piston.
Faster way:

Undo the rocker cover nuts, pop the rocker cover up slightly and rotate motor using either the relay or a 22mm socket on the harmonic balancer. Turn until mark on the cam is lined up with the right hand side of the motor. Mark the TDC mark onto your harmonic balancer. Now put the dizzy in so that the rotor is about 2-3cms ahead of the number 1 mark.

You will now need someone to move the harmonic balancer backwards and forwards until the bottom of the dizzy engages with the oil pump. The rotor should now be about 1cm clockwise of the #1 mark on the dizzy at TDC. Take note of the position of the dizzy, rotate it so you can put the dizzy cap clips back on then turn back to original spot, tighten dizzy bolt.

Test to see if it runs. Then turn off, earth the grey connector near where the brake booster is. Set timing and your away.
Old 08-19-2003, 06:24   #9 (permalink)
green 91 EB

Which is the gray wire i need to ground i set the timing without grounding it car runs fin till warm the stalls and runs real rough and then just keeps stalling about every 2 seconds . is this because i didnot earth it or am i looking in the wrong place. Either way ill try it after earthing the wire but just need clarification as to which wire it is

Chears
Chris
Old 08-19-2003, 18:36   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

There are a few wires on the LHS of the brake booster (looking towards it from t he front). One of them is a female spade connector terminal (I think that's what they call it). Stick a wire in there and earth it real good while the car's running. You should notice the car revving itself. Set the timing!

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech