ed XR6 car shake!!!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2005, 20:12   #1 (permalink)
black xr6

ed XR6 car shake!!!!!

hey guys in the last couple of days when im driving the whole car gets sorta bumpy even on flat surfaces and its different to going over bumpy road just started happening,its not the alignment got that check brakes are a bit choppy when braking but i doubt that would cause this as i have had warped discs before any ideas all help appreciated. sorry about the length.
cheers
edfalconxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2005, 01:13   #2 (permalink)

Re: ed XR6 car shake!!!!!

Can you give more information?

Is it a thump, or is it a drumming sound. Is it worse when you apply the brakes?

Low frequency thumpimg could be tyres, or anything rotating at wheel speed. If it shakes when you apply the brakes, it could be warped discs. Out of balance tryes will make that noise, and if it's the front tyres, you'll feel it through the steering wheel. Same too with brake disc troubles.

A higher frequency drumming sound could be tailshaft out of balance.

Both of these types of sounds change when car speed changes.

Over to you!
fordboy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 03:47   #3 (permalink)

have you lowered your car in the last 6 months?
i had the same sorta problem with my car because i lowered my car so mutch the tail shaft ended up straight and thats BAD universal joints are not made to be straight on and they chew out!

also could it be diff bearings or Tie rod ends???

cheers?
notty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 04:50   #4 (permalink)
black xr6

the car does shake under braking but its not that as i am in the shop for re machining every 3 months (city driving) its not realy a sound as such its a shaking you feel it under your seat and when u hold the console, happens when at speed, your both on a similar wavelength with the tail shaft the mechanic i took it to last week strait away looked at it shook the tail shaft,(it was sloppy as hell) and said thats it 220 later new uni's front and back so any other ideas? cheers
edfalconxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 13:37   #5 (permalink)

get a new mechanic dude those unis are like $31 each charging you $220 is a rip off dude!
cant you do the work your self?
notty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 17:55   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfalconxr6
the car does shake under braking but its not that as i am in the shop for re machining every 3 months (city driving) its not realy a sound as such its a shaking you feel it under your seat and when u hold the console, happens when at speed, your both on a similar wavelength with the tail shaft the mechanic i took it to last week strait away looked at it shook the tail shaft,(it was sloppy as hell) and said thats it 220 later new uni's front and back so any other ideas? cheers
I suggest you jack the car and check the tyres for separation , you will find at slow speed there is a sort of rocking and as you go faster it smooths out a little , can be hard to find but one trye will have a tread portion wearing out with muchless tread becoming apparent .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech