EF Auto to Manual Conversion - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2004, 18:26   #1 (permalink)

EF Auto to Manual Conversion

Just wondering a few things... I do want to convert from auto to manual but a few places a rang up have quoted me prices which im not to sure are worth paying... anyone know any round figures on what it would cost for this conversion. And do you have to buy a new computer for it?
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2004, 18:46   #2 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Re: EF Auto to Manual Conversion

For an EF...good luck finding a box!
I usually get $1500 installed for a secondhand box, or $2000 installed for a rebuilt one. This is for an EA-ED. You could use these boxes in an EF; unsure on ratio differences.
Have you considered DIY? You can borrow my facilities and I will offer advice - no help though as am currently nursing a broken leg
It usually takes me about a day and 1/2 to 2 days to do the job. Computer can be fooled into thinking the auto's permanently in N.

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 18:59   #3 (permalink)

Yea i wouldnt mind doing it my self if i can get parts and things like that. Just really wouldnt want to **** anything up... couldnt live with myself if i did :). Anyways the place i got quoted was at automotive Sports Engineering in myaree and they quoted me 5 grand. so thats what kinda changed my mind about the whole thing but if i can do it for aout 2 then no worries
Old 04-12-2004, 19:10   #4 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Well realistically if you go looking for a secondhand u/l EA manual bomb you can get it for $800 or so, then spend $300-$700 on the box to rebuild it. Or get a complete kit s/h from a wrecker for $1k, then either take a chance or rebuild it, then put it in.
Basically I usually make about $500 on the deal for labour and stuff. Sometimes a bit less depending on what needs doing to the box.
Then take a weekend and stick it in the car. Like I said, if tools/space is a problem you're welcome to use my stuff, and I can sit about and offer advice
I actually have a box lined up to be put in after my leg's healed (2-6 months apparently), and a few more people looking. Nothing's urgent though so everybody's got time to save up some $$ hehe.

Have a look through the Quokka and the auctions, that'll be your best bet. Or if you go with the $1k setup, I might be able to hook you up with a wrecker buddy. He'd probably do the work cheapish too, probably over $2k all up though.

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech