Ford Forums banner

EF/EL Motor in a ED.

7K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Cocopopz 
#1 ·
Okay call, my ED motor is getting a little on the old side. (I6), I've found an EF/EL motor that I want to drop into its place. ..

How much stuffing around will it be? Will have to change the ECU? what about the loom etc? does everything else plug and play? I know I'll need the EF/EL airbox,

Did not think there was that much of a difference between the ED motors and the EF/EL motors.

How about fans? i.e. will I need to get the thermo fans for it too?

Please let me know of anything else I will need to do to change it ... it will been dropping into a 5spd manual ...

And also, will the ED smartlock system work with the EF/EL ECU?

Thanks ppls :)

Antony.

#2 ·
Dpends on wether it is complete with accessories or just a short motor?..
The EL would be easier, the dizzie and standard coil mean the car will run with the ED EEC IV.. The BBM and thermos won't work until you update the ECU but your old ECU will run the car..

You can change the harmonic balancer, water pump etc to keep the v belts and clutch fan set up if you dont want to convert it all over to serpentine, depends on weather you have the EL A/C compressor and alternator

It is more or less plug and play with the odd wire extension here and there but depends how much time and $$ you want to throw at the whole conversion

#3 ·
Get an EL engine, don't even think about running an EF engine in there.

It'll bolt straight in, use the EL ECU and add wires to the ED looms for the thermofans, knock sensor and BBM.

Then your only issue will be the A/C lines, the compressors are different.

Only problem is trip computer wont work properly, if you have one.

Smartlock will work fine, I'm running an EL ECU in my EBII.

#4 ·
psycho chicken said:
Get an EL engine, don't even think about running an EF engine in there.

It'll bolt straight in, use the EL ECU and add wires to the ED looms for the thermofans, knock sensor and BBM.

Then your only issue will be the A/C lines, the compressors are different.

Only problem is trip computer wont work properly, if you have one.

Smartlock will work fine, I'm running an EL ECU in my EBII.
Yeah coolo ... hopefully the motor im going to see is from an EL .. btw: get payment for the taillights? :)

#6 ·
Hey, There is a problem in the post ED 6 pots if you have a close listen to post ED motors with a few K's under there belt you will notice there will be a bit a belt squeal that is because post ED motors run a half thrust bearing on the crank that is prone to wear which lets the crank have a bit of end float which in turn puts the front crank pulley out of alignment with the rest of the auxilaries. Just something to keep in the back of ya mind.

Dont ask y ford did this probably to save 50c.
:fraz:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.