Ford Forums banner

EF Fairmont Intermittant Miss

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  RedEF6 
#1 ·
Hi all,

A little while ago, my EF Fairmont I6 Auto developed a missfire that would come and go, and I believed it was because the plugs and leads were around 70,000km old. Well, after recently replacing plugs with NGK Type R's and Eagle 9mm silicone leads, the miss dissapeared.... for a couple of weeks anyways. Now the miss comes and goes every couple of days.

I used to always run premium (mobil 8000 or BP Ultimate) but due to fuel prices lately, have switched back to regular unleaded. I thought then maybe running on normal ULP after running premium for so long was havin an effect, but after switching back to premium (@ $1.12/ L :p ) it made no difference.

Does anyone have any other idea's as i'm a little stumped. Also, the idle seems to be suffereing lately, with a lumpy idle, and occasional almost stalling, before the ECU picks it up and increases revs to 1000rpm temporarily.

#4 ·
Fault Code Extraction

There are Two Modes of Fault Code Extraction.

1. Key ON Engine OFF (KOEO)
2. Key ON Engine Running (KOER)

KOEO Self Test Procedure
Engine to operating temperature.
Transmission in park or neutral.
All electrical loads OFF.

1. Ignition OFF.
2. Connect test equipment between Diagnostic Connector terminals B+ and STO.
(LED Testlamp, Voltmeter)
3. Switch Ignition to ON position.
4. Connect jumper wire between Diagnostic Connector terminals ENG STI and ENG GND.
5. Read Fault Codes as flashes of the test equipment.

The sequence of codes is as follows:
1. Fast Codes (Can only be read by a data scanner)
2. Hard Fault Codes (Problems that currently exist)
3. Six second pause
4. Separator code (Single digit)
5. Six second pause
6. Memory Codes (Faults in the last 80 start/stop cycles)

After Memory Codes have all been displayed;
A test of the Broadband Manifold and Compressor Clutch Circuit may now be initiated as follows:
1. Without turning the ignition OFF move throttle linkage;
From the closed position to fully open position and back to closed position again.
2. The Broadband Servo and rod should pull up and the A/C Compressor Clutch should engage.
3. Repeat Step 1 and the devices will deactivate.

FAULT CODES
215 Ignition Coil "A"
Failed to Fire

216 Ignition Coil "B"
Failed to Fire

217 Ignition Coil "C"
Failed to Fire

226 Unknown Coil (+ Code 214)
Failed to Fire

COIL PACK
To Test Resistance @ 25°C
Primary Secondary
0.6 Ohms 9.2 k Ohms

#6 ·
I had the same problem with my EF Fairmont. Turns out lead number 3 was burnt out and was arking to the other leads. I actually suspected the coil due to the fact i had replaced leads 20,000 km before that so i went out and bought one and i've still got it sitting here. If you need one let me know..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.