EF Fairmont V's TH/TJ Magna - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2004, 19:09   #1 (permalink)

EF Fairmont V's TH/TJ Magna

sorry if this is the wrong area to post this, but i faced up some guy in a 3.5TH magna at the lights.... he reved up.. i reved up...so it was on, in a normal circumstance which car would win? the magna has 147-150 Kw's where the ford has 157. I would have beat this guy in the magna by probably 1-2 car lenths? does this sound right?

does anyone else have any stories about dragging magnas? because i would really love to hear about them.

Cheers!
Bounce Ferret! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2004, 19:34   #2 (permalink)

Re: EF Fairmont V's TH/TJ Magna

I imagine being a fairmont its an auto, and being an auto the magna probably would have edged ahead for the first little bit, and then the fairmont would start overtaking it.

I don't bother with magna's and stuff like that very often, i would rather beat something I shouldn't be able too rather than something I should. Best was a mates Auto EL (+2.5 inch exhaust). I lined up an S15 200SX and was edging ahead, all the while he is looking frustrated in his drivers seat! let him go at 70 though, don't like speeding in town.

I drive a manual EL, so I go after stuff like 200SX's and WRX's... you feel better when you beat them. Oh and VN commodores with HSV stickers and shit on them, they're fun...
peter_vod69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 19:40   #3 (permalink)

haha yeh true.. there's just a little thing going atm, a few of the magna boys can't believe i beat a TJ 3.5, i was just asking if anyone else has tried to take a magna

good work on the 200SX! i can't wait to start to the EF up a bit
Bounce Ferret! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 19:43   #4 (permalink)

I beet a dude in a smagma the other day with ease.
He had some work done to it by the sound of the drone.lol
Old 03-01-2004, 19:55   #5 (permalink)

Yeah, bugger 'em, I mean who gives a shit about a Magna? I would actually bet that your fairmont would be capable of beating a Magna.

Yeah, the 200 was a classic, i was driving with my mate in the passenger seat, I saw it pull up and looked over with a pleading expression, he said yeah go for it. So I did, and I think I suprised this particular Nissan driver, as well as my mate...
peter_vod69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 22:33   #6 (permalink)
Lamahs approve of manuals

I can't remember which is which, but I would be wary of the cardigan car . . .

In some forms (especially the newer sports variants) they are a fairly quick car from the factory (mid 7's to the 100 for the manual sports I think).

The other consideration is gearing, and weight - of which the magna has a definite advantage in weight (current model is 1500kg).

Quote:
I don't bother with magna's and stuff like that very often, i would rather beat something I shouldn't be able too rather than something I should. Best was a mates Auto EL (+2.5 inch exhaust). I lined up an S15 200SX and was edging ahead, all the while he is looking frustrated in his drivers seat! let him go at 70 though, don't like speeding in town.
I hate to say it, but the 200sx driver must have been the worst driver ever. A 200sx should eat an auto el as a light snack before breakfast, then move on for main course...

There was another thread recently about magna's - might have been in the e-series area...
XR8 Lamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 06:42   #7 (permalink)
Gonna miss the ED :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_vod69
I drive a manual EL, so I go after stuff like 200SX's and WRX's... you feel better when you beat them. Oh and VN commodores with HSV stickers and shit on them, they're fun...
WRX's?
Must be a quick EL mate

Magnas are pretty nippy off the line compared to a ford 6 auto. So he would probably have u to 50 then you would pass him
Old 03-02-2004, 13:07   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_vod69
Were they asleep when you were racing them,I ve had WRX and have run many cars including 200sx ,falcons/commodore and can asure you there is no chance you will bet either of these cars uless you are turbo or had serious work done to the falcon.
try 1 again and see how you go.let him know you want a run though.
Old 03-02-2004, 13:19   #9 (permalink)
BOFH

I think you guys all underestimate the Magna 3.5 engine. To be honest I think that a stock auto Fairmont would be hard pressed to say the least. Unless you have done full exhaust and a few other mods a stock Fairmont will be lucky to run a 16.5s 1/4 whereas a 3.5 Magna (at least the VRX version) can run a 15.9 on a good day. Top end the Fairmont will beat it for sure but power to weight the Magna has it and will give you a hell of a run.
To be honest, in a day to day situation, I think the WRX is an easier race. Unless they are willing to dump the clutch at 5000rpm the WRX is not that good off the line and bogs down quite badly where as a Magna will bolt off the line and leave you chasing it down. 0-100 the 3.5 Magna is a quick car, dont be fooled!

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 15:09   #10 (permalink)
khellooo!!

ill direct u here, u'll probly be pretty interested in this thread:

Beaten by a Magna???

cheers, alex
XMU2drescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech