EF Gearbox to EA - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2007, 16:42   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation EF Gearbox to EA

Howdy all , Recently the gearbox in the EA is playing up real bad and at 400,000k,s i geuss thats fair. So i went and saw my buddies at payless wreckers and bought a sweet 160,000 EF box for $400. Now my EA is a 4 speed auto but EA has a computer under the dash that runs with the box apparently. Will this become a prob with the EF box?? Has any one done this swap before , and if so was there any probs to know about?? I hope the EF box will work in my EA as today i am starting to pull the old box out, so quick responce would be very appreative.. Thankyou..
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2007, 19:07   #2 (permalink)

Re: EF Gearbox to EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK340
Howdy all , Recently the gearbox in the EA is playing up real bad and at 400,000k,s i geuss thats fair. So i went and saw my buddies at payless wreckers and bought a sweet 160,000 EF box for $400. Now my EA is a 4 speed auto but EA has a computer under the dash that runs with the box apparently. Will this become a prob with the EF box?? Has any one done this swap before , and if so was there any probs to know about?? I hope the EF box will work in my EA as today i am starting to pull the old box out, so quick responce would be very appreative.. Thankyou..
Look on the side of each box , are they both aode or is the ea box aod ?
I have pictures of the boxes if you need help to identify them . ( there should be a 100 x 60 mm tag with the info on it .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:09   #3 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: EF Gearbox to EA

Thanks for quick repley, The box is in went well i supose.. that is until that top starter motor bolt, F...in fun that is.. I have noticed that tag on the EL box but didnt notice on the old EA box , But it is very hard to see anything on that due to grease and oil, but i will check closer tomorow, will there be a prob? Whats the diff? Everything seems the same except no dipstick???Why thats been replaced by a bolt on the side who knows. Photos would help if ya dont mind please. But please tell me it will work cause its in the car now.. Cheers for repley, Thanks..
Old 01-26-2007, 14:04   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for quick repley, The box is in went well i supose.. that is until that top starter motor bolt, F...in fun that is.. I have noticed that tag on the EL box but didnt notice on the old EA box , But it is very hard to see anything on that due to grease and oil, but i will check closer tomorow, will there be a prob? Whats the diff? Everything seems the same except no dipstick???Why thats been replaced by a bolt on the side who knows. Photos would help if ya dont mind please. But please tell me it will work cause its in the car now.. Cheers for repley, Thanks..
Some of the early boxen are aod 4 speed or a 3 speed bw40 box , which have different controls to the electronic aode , the aode has 4 small cables connected to the side of the box for control and the aod does not , I expect its an aode but it might not be and if not you will be fiddling with computers and wires . get back to us when your sure . Last box swap I did on my el the inlet manifold came off . simply couldnt get the starter bolt out ( lots of cussing)
so did your old box have a 25 mm round wire connector , a 12mm square plud and a couple of little rouns ones connecting the auto ?
Old 01-26-2007, 17:33   #5 (permalink)

Smile Re: EF Gearbox to EA

Hello , Yes i have those 4 wire connectors you are talking about everything plugs in good. The EA i have is a Spack 5th month 90 model with 4 speed auto. It now is fitted with ED 94 4.0 ltr and EL 97 4 speed auto , The way its going looking for 2000 model AU 3.55 diff , And 2005 BA interior,,,, HA ha ha These id tags i found on the boxs are EA, 90 DA 7000, EL ,94 DA 7000. Ya so everything is the same agree? waiting for reply, Thanks buddy. Dean.
Old 01-26-2007, 22:02   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Hello , Yes i have those 4 wire connectors you are talking about everything plugs in good. The EA i have is a Spack 5th month 90 model with 4 speed auto. It now is fitted with ED 94 4.0 ltr and EL 97 4 speed auto , The way its going looking for 2000 model AU 3.55 diff , And 2005 BA interior,,,, HA ha ha These id tags i found on the boxs are EA, 90 DA 7000, EL ,94 DA 7000. Ya so everything is the same agree? waiting for reply, Thanks buddy. Dean.
It should be ok , if not I will be surprised; .
Old 01-27-2007, 15:49   #7 (permalink)

Wink Re: EF Gearbox to EA

Thanks for all your help and quick responce mate.. All is good the box works great and hookes up firm, After taking 10 litres of fluid, Converter must take up a lot.And that took long enough with no dipstick??? But all and all im stoked, it works and the old one is out of there.. Thanks again
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech