ef head gasket - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2004, 02:23   #1 (permalink)
GOT MILK??

ef head gasket

hi all

to change the head gasket in a ef gli is it easy or a hard to do.

and what are same important things to know when changing a head gasket

cheers

Nick
96 EL Fairmont Ghia, Auto, Tickford motor, Wade 1004@112 cam, shift kit, custom CAI, pedders shocks with king spring superlows, 17" AMG Quakes, 2.5 M/B cat back system, kenwood headunit, kenwood 5" spilts, kenwoos 6.5" rear, 2 12" kenwood subs, 5ch Amp 114db.

Mods to came:
Race series Extractors
Bigger Cam
EL Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2004, 03:10   #2 (permalink)

Re: ef head gasket

Why are you changing the head gasket?
If its just leaking oil its a piece of cake.
From memory, firstly disconect the battery,Drain the coolant ,take off the tappet cover and all the other crap on top of it. undo the exhaust flange studs and leave manifold on the head (unless its leaking in the middle) its also a good hand hold for your mate to lift from.
Take the intake mount bolts out and leave the intake with the block (its got a lower mount and it will stay there). Then put 3 zip ties around the cam drive and chain.Note before you do this remove the tensioner its below the power steer pump you might need a ford special tool to get it out form memory. Then undo the bolt inthe end of cam and lever the drive gear off and it will sit there. Undo the head bolts and lever the head up. Then put 2 pieces of rag through the rockers on intake (for handles)
Then you and your mate lift it off Note there is a cam chain guide on the left (the tensioner pushes it out ) Be very CAREFUL not to break it. As you lift it up (the head) the cam gear you zip tied will stay with the block and you lift the head over it. Then when you get it off clean the block and the head surfaces. This a guide and if you have any doubts about doing it get a tradesman to do it OK Good luck Baz
barman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 05:33   #3 (permalink)
GOT MILK??

thanks barman
well on the way to work it started to piss out water from the side of the block and about 15mins of driving it needs to be filled up with water and the temp goes right up to HOT and light and beepers start happen.

one more thing when the head gasket blows does steam always came out the exhuast or only sametimes.

thanks

Nick
96 EL Fairmont Ghia, Auto, Tickford motor, Wade 1004@112 cam, shift kit, custom CAI, pedders shocks with king spring superlows, 17" AMG Quakes, 2.5 M/B cat back system, kenwood headunit, kenwood 5" spilts, kenwoos 6.5" rear, 2 12" kenwood subs, 5ch Amp 114db.

Mods to came:
Race series Extractors
Bigger Cam
Old 05-12-2004, 05:46   #4 (permalink)
Packed up and gone.....

Mate, I reckon get someone else to do it..
How many kays on your car? Mines just done its first head gasket at 191,000 kays.

Cheers
-dan

You know who I am...
-Dan
XR6child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 05:50   #5 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

Use an AU head hasket, they are much better and will also bump up the C/R slightly.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 08:14   #6 (permalink)

Sure its leaking water from the gasket? Make sure its not just a whelch plug. Had to replace two on my EA shortly after buying it. Pain to get them out too! and the exhaust manifold hides everything until you rip it off.

RIP my ol' esky.. many years of good service
eskyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 00:58   #7 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

Sometimes you get steam in the exhaust (usually just after startup cos the pressure in the cooling system forces water into the cylinders when the engine was last stopped hot - usually accompanied by poor starting). Sometimes you get milky oil on the filler cap (water getting in the oil - usually an oil gallery to water jacket headgasket leak). Sometimes you just get the water blown out of the coolant overflow. Note: there's only 1 common factor here - disappearing water. But not all disappearing water is a headgasket. Get the cooling system pressure tested for leaks BEFORE pulling the head off. I know I'd be pissed off to find a leaking water pump after I did a headgasket thinking it needed it. Although on my XF last year I did have both at the same time but the pump leak didn't show up until the headgasket was fixed & the cooling system was full of water not air.

As for important things to remember changing a head gasket:
1) It may be the head gasket that's leaking - but chances are it's because the head is corroded from lack of corrosion inhibitor in the cooling system. Check it carefully.
2) Since the head is off already - get it crack tested & surfaced. (same goes for clutches too - always get the flywheel surfaced - your new friction plate will thank you for it!)
3) If the head bolts are TTY replace them - always. They're not expensive. Some people will recommend that they're good for 2 uses - but if they're not you'll need a new gasket & possibly another head surface when it warps if a bolt breaks.

I know there's many more - but I can't think of any at the moment - that's enough beer for me!
yeah right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 01:38   #8 (permalink)
GOT MILK??

well car has is just under 287,000km's and it the hasnt had a change. when dad got the car it only had 60,000 on the clock.

im not to sure if its the whelch plugs or gasket but i got a rebuild kit and box of head bolts just sitting here so i though i mite as well rebuild it and i well send the head off to get tested.

i just got the water pump changed coz it started leakin from there, then the heater tap broke so i got that fixed so now it looks like the head gasket (or whelch plug) gone but im not pissed off about it coz she been a good car since we got it.

cheers

Nick

Mods to came:
Race series Extractors
Bigger Cam
Old 05-14-2004, 00:08   #9 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

If it ain't broke - don't fix it! Invest some time in finding the actual source - don't go pulling the head off for no reason. Unless you have nothing better to do with your time of course.
yeah right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 00:09   #10 (permalink)
GOT MILK??

well i got a comp test done and the gasket is stuff so i start to take apart every thing but the head bolts arent playing nice, how is the best way of getting the headbolts out that are stuck

cheers

Nick

Mods to came:
Race series Extractors
Bigger Cam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech