ef I-6 into xf or stick with old? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2003, 06:55   #1 (permalink)

Question ef I-6 into xf or stick with old?

Gday Guys,

I currently own an xf ghia auto with an efi mill running straight gas (rendering injectors useless) with extractors, 2.5" exhaust and 3" stainless steel pipe with pod running off throttle body/gas mixer for fresh air.

I dunno whether to put bigger pistons, cam and generally refresh engine to go harder as well as changing diff rartio from 2.77 to 3.23 or just get some xg engine mounts and slap in a stock ef engine and work that instead. Ef engine to run straight gas as well.

If I were to go with the ef option:

1. Would I have to also use the 4 speed auto box from ef or can I get away with using current xf 3 speed auto box with some sort of off-the-shelf adaptor/part? (4 gears are better than 3 obviously) What auto's did the xg's have?

2. Would ef tranny bolt straight into xf tranny tunnel or are mods required?

2. Would I be able to retain xf diff but with a differant ratio and could it handle ef engine output? What should I go for? Suggestions please.

3. This is what puzzles me the most and would shit me the most doing. Would the ef comp and loom hook up to xf ghia digital dash without major hacking? Anyone heard of anyone selling aftermarket conversion wiring looms like Aeropro do for stereo head units for various rides to suit new systems? What did xg's use?

4. Would current gas tank be suitable to ef engine along with gas convertor and mixer or would ef specific ones have to be sourced?

5. Any other issues I should know about besides tranny, diff and comp/loom if doing this?

6. Turbo or supercharger setup not being considered for either mill. I'd be up to my neck in debt.

7. Anyone know people in Vic that do these sorts of conversions?

Any feedback would be much appreciated lads.
Cheers,
cHaRgEr
jAcKaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2003, 17:53   #2 (permalink)

Re: ef I-6 into xf or stick with old?

The 3 speed auto box should bolt up to the EL motor with the right bellhousing (EA one). The BW auto all have detachable bellhousings. If you go 4 speed you could use 3.23 with no problems.

I would always go for the EL motor if you can afford it. Its a superior motor in every aspect.

You could go a XE/XF carby dissy with the LPG if you wanted cheap. Then all you would need is a EA stand alone auto computer.
not ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 03:57   #3 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: ef I-6 into xf or stick with old?

Cheers not ford..you suggesting that EA comp would work in conjunction with ghia cluster?

jAcKaL
jAcKaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 04:16   #4 (permalink)

hi jackal, it's quite a good conversion and pretty much straight forward.

1) you could use either 3 or 4 speed. if u use the 3sp u will have to run a manual ecu otherwise the ef ecu will look for a tranny which isnt there and faultcode accordingly.
2)the 3 spd tranny will go straight into the tunnel, u'll need an xg rear mount. you'll be able to use the xf speedo and tailshaft.
2)again???) unless u plan on really giving it a hard time, the diff should cope
3)if u grab the ef wiring diagram and compare it to an xf one, it will be just a matter of splicing the ef sensors into the xf harness to get the instument cluster to work. it's actually alot easier than it sounds. the instrument cluster doesnt plug into the computer - it gets most of it's info from the engine harness.
4)dont know anything about gas...sorry
5)the biggest issue you'll have apart from the obvious is getting around the smartlock. engine wont start without it.

do you plan on doing it yourself or getting someone else to do it?

See them both here <=-- Page Updated 15 October 2006
TaraHymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 04:47   #5 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

On straight gas you could ditch the ECU and run a dizzy from an XE or XF and have it regraphed to suit straight gas. Ask a distributor shop.
I researched this not long ago and was told that you may have head gasket problem from the position of the cooling system. I Bought a 5.8l V8 instead.
Do a search for my threads and you will come up with a lot of info.

cheers
Dan
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 18:38   #6 (permalink)
Synchro Abuser

Going for pre-smartlock ECU would cut out that problem, but by the time u stuff about with the fact that the pre (and post) EF blocks used a dizzy not an ignition box, and make an RPM switch for the broadband intake manifold (assuming you WANT to use that manifold), you'd probably find it easier to get around the smartlock!

my .02
ph0.
Old 11-09-2003, 17:06   #7 (permalink)

Find a loom from an XH or XG Falcon. most of the stuff inside XG XH is XF style anyway.

They use the EB style intake. except the XR6 uses the BB in XH and XH2
jimmy_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 17:16   #8 (permalink)

Now too me looking at this info. How hard would it be too find a smashed XH and use the stuff in an XF.

Here is the pictures.

XHII Dash

http://home.iprimus.com.au/jmcrockett/XHIIdash.jpg

XHII Motor (Cover looks like AU)

http://home.iprimus.com.au/jmcrockett/XHIIengine.jpg

Side Shot of Car

http://home.iprimus.com.au/jmcrockett/XHIIside.jpg
jimmy_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech