Ford Forums banner

ef I-6 into xf or stick with old?

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  jimmy_c 
#1 ·
Gday Guys,

I currently own an xf ghia auto with an efi mill running straight gas (rendering injectors useless) with extractors, 2.5" exhaust and 3" stainless steel pipe with pod running off throttle body/gas mixer for fresh air.

I dunno whether to put bigger pistons, cam and generally refresh engine to go harder as well as changing diff rartio from 2.77 to 3.23 or just get some xg engine mounts and slap in a stock ef engine and work that instead. Ef engine to run straight gas as well.

If I were to go with the ef option:

1. Would I have to also use the 4 speed auto box from ef or can I get away with using current xf 3 speed auto box with some sort of off-the-shelf adaptor/part? (4 gears are better than 3 obviously) What auto's did the xg's have?

2. Would ef tranny bolt straight into xf tranny tunnel or are mods required?

2. Would I be able to retain xf diff but with a differant ratio and could it handle ef engine output? What should I go for? Suggestions please.

3. This is what puzzles me the most and would shit me the most doing. Would the ef comp and loom hook up to xf ghia digital dash without major hacking? Anyone heard of anyone selling aftermarket conversion wiring looms like Aeropro do for stereo head units for various rides to suit new systems? What did xg's use?

4. Would current gas tank be suitable to ef engine along with gas convertor and mixer or would ef specific ones have to be sourced?

5. Any other issues I should know about besides tranny, diff and comp/loom if doing this?

6. Turbo or supercharger setup not being considered for either mill. I'd be up to my neck in debt.

7. Anyone know people in Vic that do these sorts of conversions?

Any feedback would be much appreciated lads.
Cheers,
cHaRgEr

See less See more
#2 ·
The 3 speed auto box should bolt up to the EL motor with the right bellhousing (EA one). The BW auto all have detachable bellhousings. If you go 4 speed you could use 3.23 with no problems.

I would always go for the EL motor if you can afford it. Its a superior motor in every aspect.

You could go a XE/XF carby dissy with the LPG if you wanted cheap. Then all you would need is a EA stand alone auto computer.

#4 ·
hi jackal, it's quite a good conversion and pretty much straight forward.

1) you could use either 3 or 4 speed. if u use the 3sp u will have to run a manual ecu otherwise the ef ecu will look for a tranny which isnt there and faultcode accordingly.
2)the 3 spd tranny will go straight into the tunnel, u'll need an xg rear mount. you'll be able to use the xf speedo and tailshaft.
2)again???) unless u plan on really giving it a hard time, the diff should cope
3)if u grab the ef wiring diagram and compare it to an xf one, it will be just a matter of splicing the ef sensors into the xf harness to get the instument cluster to work. it's actually alot easier than it sounds. the instrument cluster doesnt plug into the computer - it gets most of it's info from the engine harness.
4)dont know anything about gas...sorry
5)the biggest issue you'll have apart from the obvious is getting around the smartlock. engine wont start without it.

do you plan on doing it yourself or getting someone else to do it?

#5 ·
On straight gas you could ditch the ECU and run a dizzy from an XE or XF and have it regraphed to suit straight gas. Ask a distributor shop.
I researched this not long ago and was told that you may have head gasket problem from the position of the cooling system. I Bought a 5.8l V8 instead.
Do a search for my threads and you will come up with a lot of info.

cheers
Dan

#6 ·
Going for pre-smartlock ECU would cut out that problem, but by the time u stuff about with the fact that the pre (and post) EF blocks used a dizzy not an ignition box, and make an RPM switch for the broadband intake manifold (assuming you WANT to use that manifold), you'd probably find it easier to get around the smartlock!

my .02
ph0.

#8 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.