Ford Forums banner

EF I6: Changing Serpentine Belt

8K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  MustangNicko 
#1 ·
Is this is doable at home kinda task, or is it best left to a mechanic?

A rough idea of how to do it would also be great.

Cheers!

#5 ·
Yep, as opposed to the set up on EA-ED which have a belt of the Power steering, a belt for the Alternator and a belt for the AC where fitted. The major advantage is less noise and less pull on the engine, as well as the added benefit of less space taken up and easy of tightening.

#6 ·
My EF has a sticker with a diagram of the layout of the belt under the bonnet on the left hand side. It is a little fiddly to do but I found the easiest way is to pull on the belt between the top right plastic pulley and the air con pulley. This moves the tension arm revealing a hole that is normally behind a lug on the left side as per pic below. Insert a small bolt about 30mm long. This prevents the belt retensioning. Simply take off old belt, replace with new as per diagram and pull on belt in same place as above to remove bolt. The belt should be re-tensioned automatically. Be sure that the ribs line up with the belt on all pulleys, double check your layout with diagram and you are set.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.