EF Not running right - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2007, 22:09   #1 (permalink)

EF Not running right

Hi Everyone,

I have a 96 EFII GLi with an Inline 6.

The problem i'm having is when its started in the morning (cold) it stutters under acceleration to the point where it hardly moves, but when over around 1200rpm its then fine, this happens until the car is warm.

Also, occasionally when started, say when i'm going home for lunch from work in the middle of a warm day (almost every day it does this, and only at lunch time!), it hardly idles, drops down to a near stall, then revs back up and repeats the process, again runs fine when its over around 1200rpm

It has gone through 2 pair of leads in the last 12 months also, the current leads are 6 months old.

Any ideas where i should start looking? i'm thinking perhaps a sensor is playing games?

Thanks.
Greenie.
greenieofdubbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2007, 00:53   #2 (permalink)

Re: EF Not running right

sounds like the preheat element is gone in the O2 sensor also try cleaning out ya throttle body
notty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 20:15   #3 (permalink)

hey i think i got the same problem with my el. sometimes when it first fires it fires rough then settles then i sitting at trafic lights n idles rough miss fires n sounds like it gonna stall mechanic said could be water leakin through head gasket but he said f thats the problem it will only have the problem when cold and mine does it anytime but mainly cold. i thought it could be a blocked fuel filter or injector becouse once i get rolling n the revs go up its fine. if u have fixed the problem can u email me or anyone else that knows what it could b. fsb_haro_01@hotmail.com
jasbmxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 23:22   #4 (permalink)

hey i own a 95 EF and also have the surge problem also the stutter wen cold, although my car is factory duel fuel and runs perfect on gas and shows now sign of either while running on gas.
Gibbsy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 00:42   #5 (permalink)

While the engine is running, (if it will idle), spray some solvent or ether along the inlet manifold gasket. If the engine picks up and runs ok, well thats it. It sounds as though the gasket has a leak, also a common fault with these engines.
Also, follow the hose from the MAP sensor (black box on l/h fire wall) down to the intake manifold, this hose does split, and causes a hell of a vaccuum leak, rough running, tons of fuel being used etc. Generally will run o0k up the rev range a bit.
Failing that, clean the throttle plate and bore, remove and clean out and lube the Idle speed controller, which is the cylindrical unit right by the throttle body.
Good Luck.
This will suit most E-series Falcons, incl. AU
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:23   #6 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Also check the simple things - a clogged air filter will give these symptoms as also sometimes will a partially clogged fuel filter.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech