EF water pump pulley removal and install - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2005, 20:53   #1 (permalink)

EF water pump pulley removal and install

Can someone help.

How do I remove the water pump pulley?
Can I remove it with the pump still in the car?
How do I put a new pulley back on without damaging the seal and bearings or housing?

As my belt sits forward on the pulley, I would like to know if I can press it back on not the full distance. Problem is I have serpentine belt misalignment that I believe is caused by excessive crankshaft axial endfloat (4mm). The belt now sits forward on the water pump pulley. The harmoinic balancer, two idler pulleys, belt and seal have been replaced and still the belt sits forward on the aluminium belt tensioner and water pump pulley. I have packed two hardened washers (4mm) under the three mounting bolts of the tensioner arm assembly and this has fixed the problem of the belt rubbing against the aluminium tensioner arm. Dont feel like pulling out the crankshaft to fix the endfloat Big bux.
keep research is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2005, 16:29   #2 (permalink)
Fed

Re: EF water pump pulley removal and install

Have you actually measured the end float on the crank?
At 4.0mm I'd think the thrust bearing would be non-existant.

While changing a belt on my EF I noticed a misalignment identical to yours and I'm thinking it's caused from too much play at the tensioner pivot point making the whole tensioner arm too close to the engine.

I'm lucky enough to have 2 EFs so I will take some measurements and let you know, but I'm pretty sure that's what's causing the problem for you.

I bet a new tensioner arm will cost an arm & a leg.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 21:42   #3 (permalink)
Fed

OK, I replaced the tensioner arm and now my belt is tracking pefectly, the new arm complete with both pulleys was quoted at $166 +GST from a Ford dealer. Hope this helps.
Old 02-20-2005, 21:48   #4 (permalink)
Felon

I'm not sure that the water pump pulleys are removeable anyhow. I did a mates water pump a while and he had a plastic pully. The new pump came with a pully attached......
usernameremoved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 19:04   #5 (permalink)

they are removable but you need the removal/installer tool to do it.
genuine pumps dont come with the pulley attached eithier.
61sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 05:28   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed
Have you actually measured the end float on the crank?
At 4.0mm I'd think the thrust bearing would be non-existant.

While changing a belt on my EF I noticed a misalignment identical to yours and I'm thinking it's caused from too much play at the tensioner pivot point making the whole tensioner arm too close to the engine.

I'm lucky enough to have 2 EFs so I will take some measurements and let you know, but I'm pretty sure that's what's causing the problem for you.

I bet a new tensioner arm will cost an arm & a leg.

FED...I have checked the end float and it is 4 mm. The crankshaft can easily be pulled backwards and forwards by hand. It just goes clunk clunk. So I packed the tensioner arm with spacer washers to bring them out more. Then I had to pack the top idler pulley on the tensioner arm back towards the engine to get the belt tracking at the top. Now all is well the belt is tracking straight again. But the root cause of this problem is the crankshaft has moved forward and this caused the belt to rub on the tensioner arm bracket.
Old 02-23-2005, 16:03   #7 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Mate, that much crank endfloat is an ugly problem! How long do you think it will last like that?

You can remove the pulley, try using a gear puller, then press it back on.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 23:04   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Mate, that much crank endfloat is an ugly problem! How long do you think it will last like that?

You can remove the pulley, try using a gear puller, then press it back on.

I spoke to a RACQ tech rep and was told that its is ok or normal to have such end float in Fords. Obviously, they indicated it was excessive but it will run like that for yonks. The engine has done 150000 klm so I quess I'll just have to wait and see how correct he was. Either way it will be a big job as something (thrust washers) have probably let go inside.
Old 02-25-2005, 13:09   #9 (permalink)
Fed

I checked it out in my manual and the specs say an end float of 0.1mm to 0.3mm max.
I just can't get my head around 4.0mm, if this is ok or normal surely there's someone here who has seen who's seen this problem before.
150,000 Kms is not a big number, both of mine are pushing 300,000 Kms.
Old 02-25-2005, 18:26   #10 (permalink)
Who wants more than 80kw?

Has the engine been run dry of oil or something? I cant even think how it could wear like that.

It could be just a friday engine....
81foXDwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech