Ford Forums banner

EF XR6 Cam into an EF

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  KenOath 
#1 ·
Ok a few questions.

1. Will i need to use XR6 valvesprings (If possible i don't want to)?

2. Wil the computer recognise the cam profile and tune the engine accordingly and not get confussed. I'm running EEC-V.

3. Since i'm running the non-tickford head will i gain any performance with running the warmer xr6 cam.

I'm thinking of getting an XR6 cam as i figured that i'll have to replace the cam to get rid of the valvetrain noise.
Also lastly i don't want a rough idle due to the computer getting confussed.

#2 ·
answers

1) 'bigger' cam means stronger valve springs, so it would be nicer to fit newer ones

2) yes the EEC-V will recognise the new cam, once you have reset it, it will learn to the new paramatas, fuel map however does not change

3) you will gain a poof teenth of a HP adding the XR6 cam, the diff is only 7kw from factory, thats with bigger valves too.

my suggestion is ring jim mock, and for a tiny 900 investment, you get new valve springs, vernier timing gear, the cam, performance sparks n leads, all fitted, and dyno'd.

which will push out 140rwkw. has the same idle as xr6 cam, but more power. if the idle is very lumpy, the EEC-V has a heart attack, and doesnt want to work.

im getting the DEV3 package sent to me shortly, to be installed, he will send to any corner of australia, hes a good bloke isnt he, lol.

its your choice

#3 ·
EB on n20 ::Has had NO troubles with Crow cam,his head is totaly std.There cams are ground from a billet,NOT reground std cams. But I'd suggest good springs on any engine.Cheap insurance.Check out Crow for springs.Aftermarket WILL be cheaper than buying through Ford and possibly the same product.. ???
You could possibly get yours ground again but thats Not the way to go,you will need to shim etc for the base circle is smaller...hth...

I may as well give "Tee Jay performance" a rap [My son is doing work experiance there through tafe] His address is on unit 5/121 Kurrajong Av St Marys.. 9673 2795...9833 1360...Ask for Terry... see u tonight....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.