EF XR6 - Dual Fuel - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2004, 02:16   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

EF XR6 - Dual Fuel

Hey all,

i have just bought an EF XR6, on gas. i have plans to get a stage 2 cam kit done and possibly pistons, computer chip etc.

i was wondering, with the gas setup, would this mean that a stage 2 cam, for example, wouldnt be able to be installed because of it? or would i have to get some engineering done. i am a bit unsure of where i stand with that, so any advice would be appreciated.

cheers,

Luke.
Hot Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2004, 03:17   #2 (permalink)
known as tibbo

Re: EF XR6 - Dual Fuel

the biggest problem is that they dont like to be tuned for both.. I'd imagine that a cam could be optimised for one or the other, the heat range of the plugs is differnt for starters so it could be an expensive compromise..
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 04:06   #3 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

very interesting topic hey
94EF_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 05:34   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

yea i think expensive is not the word! i just dont really want to get rid of the gas but ah well. maybe ii just have to go racing pistons instead then!
Old 04-20-2004, 03:14   #5 (permalink)

Pick any cam you want.It will be fine on gas.If you decide to get a Unichip fitted it can be tuned for both fuels.Duel fuel map and timing in other words.Why oh why are people unsure of gas.Whatever can be done to a petrol engine can be done to a gas engine.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:20   #6 (permalink)
Ford Member

cheers taximan. reason being, im not really up there with the knowledge on gas, so i wanted to be sure before i go and spend any money. do u have any idea of costs for tuning a cam for both fuels?
Old 04-21-2004, 02:57   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Ef
cheers taximan. reason being, im not really up there with the knowledge on gas, so i wanted to be sure before i go and spend any money. do u have any idea of costs for tuning a cam for both fuels?
As your in Adelaide your lucky.Go and talk to David Keen at Keen Turbo Tune South rd. Melrose Park.He is the local Unichip man and he fits cams as well.Talk to him but I would say at a guess with chip and cam supply and fit about $2000.Good thing about David is he want try and rip you off,when I spoke to him about a Unichip a couple of years ago he advised against it with a stock motor,said it would be a lot of money for minimal gain.not many people like that around.
Old 04-21-2004, 18:48   #8 (permalink)
boosted sleeper

Luke, turbotune is just down the road from where I work. Its always best to ask those doing mods like this all the time. But like others have said, lpg can be tempremental sometimes and it is best to get an expert opinion. Should be good once its done!
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 05:21   #9 (permalink)

frown EF Dual Fuel Computer Probs

Hi guys
I this is my first time on the site and wondering if anyone can help me.
Last Saturday morning my EF had computer problems and can't idle properly. I replaced it with a friend's EF dual fuel computer and it runs ok. However I went to a few wreckers to get a replacement computer and all of them caused the car to either backfire or run really rough. This lead me to the conclusion that the computer needs to be re-programmed???? Am I on the right track or am i barking up the wrong tree.

Mattsonicx
Old 04-22-2004, 05:49   #10 (permalink)

Re: EF Dual Fuel Computer Probs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsonicx
Hi guys
I this is my first time on the site and wondering if anyone can help me.
Last Saturday morning my EF had computer problems and can't idle properly. I replaced it with a friend's EF dual fuel computer and it runs ok. However I went to a few wreckers to get a replacement computer and all of them caused the car to either backfire or run really rough. This lead me to the conclusion that the computer needs to be re-programmed???? Am I on the right track or am i barking up the wrong tree.

Mattsonicx
Sounds like your barking up the wrong tree.How to you know you have an ECU problem?Sounds more like plugs and leads.If you don't know start with the simple things first.Falcon ECUs normally last forever.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech