Ford Forums banner

EF XR6 Idle/stalling problems

6K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  ARM79 
#1 ·
My XR has developed a bad habbit of stalling when coasting down to traffic lights/stop signs, turning into driveways etc....

However, once the car as has established a proper idle, it idles fine. The car still seems to be performing OK.

We have done the following:

1. Pulled the fault codes from the computer - the only faults relate to base idle speed problems (funny that..)

2. Cleaned throttle body, removed, cleaned and tested idle speed motor and passageways

3. Adjusted base idle speed - this has made the problem better, but car still almost stalls, but usually recovers - still seems like something is wrong.

Any suggestions as to what we should try next?

#3 ·
QuaterPounder, i am very interested in the probs you are having with your xr6, because mine is doing the exact same thing. I've got an AU II x6 hp but it's got a mock dev 4 kit in it.
Mocky's tell me that the computer is stuffed and that they are finding it common that the computers just need changing, just i'm having trouble convincing my local ford dearler to change mine in waranty cos of the mods and that there are no codes comming up. Please help and let me know how you have gone with yours

#4 ·
Hey Jase, what about the 5.0? Mine does the same, will not start without throttle when cold either. Checked and cleaned out the idle controller (thanks EDXR8), all wiring and sensor connections OK.

I'me beginning to think that a new coil, dizzy cap and rotor are required...all original with 245,000 on 'em.

Any thoughts?

Mike

#7 ·
QuarterPounder, The IAC (idle air controller) motor isn't operating, the fault could be with the IAC motor or the PCM. Best way to find out is try and borrow a IAC motor off another car and see if this fixes the problem, or if you are handy with a multimeter check for a frequency on the wire to the pcm (160Hz), can't remember which color , it's the one that does't have 12volts supplied.

#9 ·
xl250 said:
could be an EGO too...

After my fairmont was dyno'ed the exhaust gas sensor died in the bum...

Worth a look into...
EGO? Or do yuo mean EGR? As in an Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve?

#10 ·
My EL Futura I6 and NL Fairlane Ghia I6 did exactly the same thing aswell. It happened about 3 months into its life on the futura, and about 9 months on the fairlane.

Just took em both into the ford dealer, under warrenty, who then just changed out the computer. Cant remember which computer, but i would imagine that steed is on the right track...

#12 ·
My EL Ghia is having a similar problem. When started it will jump to 1000rpm then down to 400rpm.. Does this 4/5 times and then stabilises. When put into drive, it does the same thing till it stabilises.

Took it into Ford and got them to check at the 80,000 service and they told me its caused by the head gasket, which is also leaking again. Something to do with the temp sensor not giving the ECU the correct temp.

I will let you know if it gets fixed after the gasket gets changed next week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.