EF XR6 water level UPDATE - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2003, 18:46   #1 (permalink)

EF XR6 water level UPDATE

Ok. I just got back from KMart Auto. Those who remember my issue will know what was up. Those who dont know...

EF XR6 water/coolent level problem

OK the guy said that there was some leaking from the top radiator hose when they put it under pressure, but there was also a leak at the back of the engine that he said would have been from the head gasket. He said it was near the exhaust manifold or something.

They fixed the hose leak and tightened up everything.

So its the head gasket then. He said for them to do it would cost around 800 bucks. could be more could be less depending on the condition of the engine when they take the head off.

Someone mentioned taking it to a 'real' mechanic to get it done in the other thread. Would the price be around about the same at a non franchise mechanic?

This was the news I didnt want to hear today. Who knows where Im going to get 800 bucks from geez.

He also said that there was no water getting into the engine...yet...but it was basically a matter of time.

He said it was ok to keep driving as long as I dont plan any long trips and look at getting it fixed sooner than later. It would just keep loosing water.

If anyone has any advice or feedback on what the problem is I would be more than happy to hear it.

Can any Brisbane people recommend any mechanics? Preferably that arent super expensive...and ideally ones that take payments in installments? haha. yeah i know...fat chance.

Anyway thanks for all the help on the first thread. Thought I would keep you all up to date on where its at.

Cheers

salty
salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2003, 18:53   #2 (permalink)

Give stafford tune a call they are very good also charlies auto works or something at woollangabba
17" ROH Shadow Chrome RT's, K&N Air Filter, LSD Conversion w/ 3.7 Gears.
Proudest Addition: Socks the Brindle Staffy Girl.
Proud TQE Operator
6pAc|30nG|00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 20:03   #3 (permalink)
Oversized Ben

try Glen Innes Autos. they are in stafford and do a great job.

looked after me for a long time
Old 05-26-2003, 23:46   #4 (permalink)
Not a Twink

For gods sake man, don't let K-Mart touch your car !
honer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2003, 23:58   #5 (permalink)

they did today...should I disinfect it now? lol

I rang a couple of mechanics today.

One said they did it recently to another EF and it cost around 970.

Kmart said they would do it for around 800...maybe more...maybe less.

Another guy said best case scenario I would be looking at around 550...worst case scenario around 1100.

But they all said they wouldnt really know how bad it is or how much work it will be untill they get into it and start...so I guess Im just taking pot luck at putting it in somewhere and seeing how much it will end up costing.
Old 05-27-2003, 00:10   #6 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Pot Luck

Yes thats about the long and short of it, you never know what may break, or be broken till you pull something apart, the head may even be cracked god forbid (touch wood - now ya cant blame me), it really is a matter of start work and see.

Dellboy999

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 00:13   #7 (permalink)

Blame will lie directly with you dude. Should the head be cracked.

Just kidding.

Anyway...if it was cracked, wouldnt I be loosing a hell of a lot more water? And wouldnt it be going into the engine?

The guy who said it could be upwards of 1100 bucks said that would be if I needed to do a head exchange...Im guessing that means get a new one. But I dunno.
Old 05-27-2003, 00:16   #8 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

The head on my Cortina 4cyl was cracked between spark plug hole and valve on piston 2, so no water problem or loss of compression, just a nice crack, i thought about it, thought some more, then bolted the damn thing back on, pretended not to see it, drove it as normal and no problems of any kind, mind you it was cast irom, so maybe alloys dont crack as a rule, but as you can see a crack doesnt need to mean water loss.

Dellboy999

Old 05-27-2003, 00:17   #9 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

PS - head exchange is just that, they swap your one for one already cleaned machined and ready to go.

Dellboy999

Old 05-27-2003, 00:19   #10 (permalink)

Ill see how I go. I mean...its going to HAVE to be fixed...its just finding funds to GET it fixed now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech