Efi Xf '86 Fairmont Ghia [nz] - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2005, 00:09   #1 (permalink)
XF 86 FAIRMONT GHIA

Efi Xf '86 Fairmont Ghia [nz]

Greetings all,
first time poster, long time reader.

right i will start by saying yes i own a 86 xf ghia' 3 spd auto. 4.1ltr i live in AUCKLAND NZ and havnt seen many fairmont ghia's xf's around lots of falcons and stuff. but no where near as much in aus.
now everything i think about this car is factory. ive owned it for 3 years now. my real first car purchase. after a long period of POSSESION i like to call it.. all the stuff ups and replacements and wot not i have managed to get on top of it. $2000+ later. but she still remains factory as far as modcons etc go.

i have recently installed side skirts from an old xf ute. and also put the louvers on the back window. going for tints next week. the car looks lowered but im sure its factory height. i have recently painted it JET BLACK LAQUUER although i am not finished final coat and gloss clearcote yet. so its still haunting me as a project needing finishing asap.

meanwhile.
i am running into a few problems . some i have fixed through the help of you fulla's and these forums.

1st "electric windows" part of my refurbishment of this car was 2 replace all 4 doors due to excess surface rust on bottom of panel. but i managed to find FORD FAIRMONT (not ghia) doors. and put them on. they dont have the central locking and also 2 of the electric windows have teh motors vs cogs warn out and just slip. i managed to find 2 XD motors and bracket parts for both but the doors have RIVETS on them, can i just drill through these rivets and put new rivets in or will it catch ont he motor etc?

2nd "IDLE" i am having comon problem i see the idle on these things is run a much. i got the timing set and stuff but it will only idle flaweless at about 8000. which its only sposed to be on 7000 nuetral for 3spd auto.
I TRIED>> a remedy from someones reply here in tehse forums. to block off the fuel return hose and see if idle improves. and yes it does. DOES that mean it would be the ICS. and something about fuel pressure?

3rd "PITMAN / IDLER ARM" i am having a constant re occurance of my flange/ring seal being broken from the pitman/idler (1 of the 2) nocking on the exhaust pipe when its @ full lock 2 the right. it vibrates and eventually cracks or breaks my seal. ( recently stripped both sides of the block and redone all the gaskets with new 1's and new silicone.)
( should i forget about this and go fit extractors?)

4th "CRUISE CONTROL" my cruisecontrol used to work but the casing for the FUSE under the hood eventually got so old and britle it broke. when i re terminated a new 1 on and put new fuse in. it hasnt worked since.

I would be very greatfull for any assistance and thank you in advance for your time

FINALLY i will ask these questions i have been wanting to know for a while.

COMPUTER. can i mod or update the computer to anything worthwhile. i have like 4 of them lying around.
AIR INTAKE. i read something about fitting a ring/housing for airintake switch and meter. but can i fit a SUPERCHARGER from an MR2 onto it?

UPGRADES. can anyone recomend any upgrades or solutions to further problems? basically i want it to sound fat, powerhouse, smooth running. without going overboard and ruining the factory'ness of the car.
Ashyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2005, 00:17   #2 (permalink)
XF 86 FAIRMONT GHIA

Re: Efi Xf '86 Fairmont Ghia [nz]

Attached Images
File Type: jpg prep_05.jpg (52.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ford_fairmont_ghia_XF86.jpg (75.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-28-2005, 00:17   #3 (permalink)
XF 86 FAIRMONT GHIA

Re: Efi Xf '86 Fairmont Ghia [nz]

ILL POST SOME NEWER UPDATED FOTOS with sideskirts and louvers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech