EL cooling system - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2004, 01:27   #1 (permalink)

EL cooling system

hey everyone,

i just thought i'd ask everyone on here what there opinions were on a slight problem i've started having.
i own a 1996 el falcon gli sedan std 6cyl auto, i have owned the car for about 4yrs and in that time i have without failure had the cooling system flushed every year.
i recently had the system flushed for the 4th time and now i have noticed that the temprature is flutuating like it has never before, the temprature would sit without fail around the M and A on the guage, regardless of the outside temp and with a/c in use. It now flutuates up and down hitting the O on the guage when in hot weather and in idle traffic, put another way its acting quite different to what it used to.
i'm not panicking, but i would like to get some other opinions on what the problem could be? is it old age? or simply needing a new radiator as the one is finally getting blocked? i just don't want heat damage and i don't want to have to change the thermostat to a cooler version when it should run on the factoy setting?
any thoughts would be great
thanks
fordforever96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2004, 01:30   #2 (permalink)

Re: EL cooling system

oh yeah the car has done around 202,000klm, trouble free with on the dot servicing, i also use mobile one 5w/50 oil.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:11   #3 (permalink)
no tire smoke no fun!

your radiator is probably 70% blocked. My radiator only lasted me like 4 years then they become blocked with stones, i rather buy a new one as after 4 years the plastic tanks split down the middle

There is a war inside my head, if I take a day off I'll die!

This cat, is cat, a cat, good cat, way cat, to cat, keep cat, a cat, idiot cat, busy cat, for cat, 20 cat, seconds cat! Now read it all without the word cat!
zbenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 07:08   #4 (permalink)
.au member

its quite possible your thermostat is playing up. id be looking at that first as they are prone to having issues every now and then. but as you have said, best to stick with what works and not go for a cooler one.
Old 12-18-2004, 15:36   #5 (permalink)
Jim Mock You Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
its quite possible your thermostat is playing up. id be looking at that first as they are prone to having issues every now and then. but as you have said, best to stick with what works and not go for a cooler one.
Ill second that.
useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 04:07   #6 (permalink)

My EL Falcon does this as well in really hot weather with the air con running.

I have had mine flushed when required, and mine can go as high as the 'O'. Sometimes we just turn off the air con for a few mins and it drops again.

Its in the summer where this occurs, otherwise it is always sitting very low.

As long as it doesnt go out of the normal zone it should be ok.
1987 LC Holden Astra SLX -- 2003-06
1984 LB Holden Astra SLX -- 2001-02
Nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 04:31   #7 (permalink)

great, thanks everbody for there thoughts, as i said i'm not panicking, just want to make sure everything runs the way its suppose to.
i actually thought about putting a new radiator in, as the plastic tanks do tend to get brittle with usage and age, regardless of how often the system is flushed.
thanks again
Old 01-24-2010, 01:00   #8 (permalink)

Hi all, new here ... I have a EL doing alot of the same thing.
Like to ask as this is the 1st car I have own like this one, Will it be best to get someone to do me a FULL system flush or may be a new radiator ?

or any feedback ?

Thanks
exelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 20:34   #9 (permalink)

Smile Re: EL cooling system

Quote:
Originally Posted by exelite View Post
Hi all, new here ... I have a EL doing alot of the same thing.
Like to ask as this is the 1st car I have own like this one, Will it be best to get someone to do me a FULL system flush or may be a new radiator ?

or any feedback ?

Thanks

Just like to add in, I think it may be my FAN's,
If I go for a long drive air con on temp will stay below M and A
If I dont use the air con temp may go up a but this is also in a long drive

If i'm in the city or any where thats busy not using the air con the temp will go as HI as O. :( only way to get it down is out of the busy road to keep air moving over the radiator. Its like the fans are not coming on much and when they do its only like 10sec to 20sec or not at all.

Thanks for any feed back from anyone
exelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech