El/ef Tb - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2005, 12:01   #1 (permalink)

biggrin El/ef Tb

Hey guys,

I'm putting an engine out of an EF into my EL since mine was pretty sad at 363k. I need to know whether I will run into any problems doing this. I have been told that it is a straight swap from coilpack to distributor but have had conflicting reports on the difference in throttle body / inlet manifold if any. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

'97 EL Sapphire, Heritage green, lowered, tint, Manual T5 conversion, "custom" air intake with AUIII T Series snorkel, 2 1/2" mandrel bent lukey exhaust, pacemaker extractors, JVC MP3 head unit and alpine 12" sub.

NEXT UP: New pacies to replace my cracked ones
Greenmeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2005, 12:26   #2 (permalink)

Re: El/ef Tb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmeanie
Hey guys,

I'm putting an engine out of an EF into my EL since mine was pretty sad at 363k. I need to know whether I will run into any problems doing this. I have been told that it is a straight swap from coilpack to distributor but have had conflicting reports on the difference in throttle body / inlet manifold if any. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It all depends on how you intend on doing the swap, if you were to swap only the block and head (which will be the worn components) there will be no problem. If you want to swap from coil pack to distributor you will need a new ECU and wiring harness.
Old 02-21-2005, 17:55   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for that. I'm also getting the inlet manifold and throttle body on the new engine and have been told by some mechanics that EF / EL throttle bodies / inlet manifold are different but others say that they are the same. I dont really want to swap it all over if I don't have to but will if there is a difference.

Thanks in advance.

'97 EL Sapphire, Heritage green, lowered, tint, Manual T5 conversion, "custom" air intake with AUIII T Series snorkel, 2 1/2" mandrel bent lukey exhaust, pacemaker extractors, JVC MP3 head unit and alpine 12" sub.

Old 02-21-2005, 17:59   #4 (permalink)

The inlet manifolds are marginaly different, the EL had two studs to secure the black plastic inlet tube included in the upper casting. The throttle bodies are the same as far as I know, this is easily confirmed by looking at part numbers on each.
Old 02-21-2005, 20:37   #5 (permalink)

Thanks heaps for that shall do tonight.

Old 02-22-2005, 01:09   #6 (permalink)

I use an AU throttle body on my EF so I think youll be alright.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 17:22   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockstandard
I use an AU throttle body on my EF so I think youll be alright.
Does the AU one make much difference?

Old 02-23-2005, 17:25   #8 (permalink)

No, it is exactly the same. I needed a spare so I picked one up from the wrecking yard and an AU engine was the closest to the front gate so thats what it came off.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 17:29   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockstandard
No, it is exactly the same. I needed a spare so I picked one up from the wrecking yard and an AU engine was the closest to the front gate so thats what it came off.
Fair enough then. Thanks for that. The old man wants to put the EL one on now anyways for the bolt holes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech