EL Fairmont GHIA On Gas - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2005, 03:32   #1 (permalink)

EL Fairmont GHIA On Gas

What has ever1 got say say about do's and don'ts with putting on it?
i want it cheaper 2 run but don't wanna lose much power!!
killa_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2005, 07:15   #2 (permalink)

Re: EL Fairmont GHIA On Gas

is gas really that much cheaper but in the end? it costs around the 1500 dollar mark to install it all doesnt it? and then u dont get as many miles per gallon so to speak i drive a 4 cylinder ute for work on gas and the best i can get out of it is 15 litres per hundred which equates to about 300 350 k's per tank of gas which is about 50 litres. i can get 12 litres per hundred out of my xd running on premium and that is around town? and unless the gas system is done properly its not to reliable on an injected car i have had experience wiht 3 injected vehicles on gas and they r very temprimental and un reliable so yeah thast my 2 bob and the power does seem to decrease on gas.
Old 09-19-2005, 23:06   #3 (permalink)

I get around 400kms on gas in my EB, which costs me around $25 at 50c/L On petrol I use approx 10 litres per hundred kms, so 40 litres at $1.30/L equates to
around $52.
usually takes around a year of regular driving to break even on an installation.
You sure notice the difference when you put $30 in at the servo instead of $70 though.

There is always some power loss with gas, more so on a fuel injected car because you lose the computer controlled fuel delivery, on older carby cars the difference is much less.
EL's with tickford duel fuel run different fuel and LPG spark maps so there is less power loss.
Brendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 01:09   #4 (permalink)

The factory (Tickford) lpg falcons went well when PROPERLY set up (I drove cabs for a couple of years). You need to do your maths before you start, though - if you don't do enough kilometres you may find the conversion is not worthwhile for saving money in the long run.
oldwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 13:00   #5 (permalink)
Death by Ford

How do you tell it's the factory Tickford Gas set up? Im currently looking at buying an EL falcon for my daily drive.
CLEVELAND JUNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 22:36   #6 (permalink)

If you are willing to wait a new type of gas conversion will be on the market here soon, it's called 'vapour injection'. There are a few versions around, some better than others, but the better ones have close to a 1:1 consumption ratio gas:petrol. So if you get 12L/100k's on petrol you'll get 12 point something or so on gas. And here's the clincher, you get MORE power.

It only works on fuel injected cars, the injectors are replaced with larger apeture ones so more fuel volume can get in, some i've read about need a second computer to translate to your ECU but the newer generation don't.

One Aussie example is the 'Stealth' system (www.gas-injection.com) and a guy here in Perth recons he'll be ready to sell a version (not sure if it's the stealth system) within a couple of months.

It's more expensive than current conversions (about a grand extra i think) but with the added economy it won't take to long to pay it back, and with the amount we spend on performance enhancing it's not too bad.

Also you don't have the risk of backfiring and for anyone that's interested it's a fair bit gentler on the environment.

I'm saving up at the moment.
XG PanelVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 19:00   #7 (permalink)

thanks for ur reply's guys i am lookin into it theres about a 3 month wait on gettin gas fitted anyway so it just might be worth it
cheers jarrod!
killa_jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 00:30   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XG PanelVan

One Aussie example is the 'Stealth' system (www.gas-injection.com)

...Is this the guy who was on 'The New Inventors' last year? If it was, he reckons those injectors work with a stock ECU
Spak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 16:54   #9 (permalink)

Have You Considered Fitment Of 2nd Hand Lpg Equipment To Bring The Conversion Price Down Ie: Retested Tank, Rebuilt Converter/ Mixer. Obviously All New Hoses, Copper And Wiring Used.
EVILROO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 03:32   #10 (permalink)

i asked about a 2nd hand setup put into my car and it doesnt work out much cheaper.

you only save a few hundred on the tank but all the lines have to be new and has to be installed by a licenced person etc.

better off just going new

EB/ED turbo i6 project: starting soon
phibz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech