EL Futura Stalling Randomly - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2003, 17:28   #1 (permalink)

EL Futura Stalling Randomly

I'm after any suggestions regarding my wife's EL Futura I-6 Auto.

We've only had the car for a couple of weeks, but it randomly stalls and then will not re-start for about 5 mins.

It has been serviced. There has been no obvious signs of any issues and when it is running it idles smoothly and drives perfectly with no missing etc.

When it stalls it simply justs cuts out almost like someone turned the key off.

I'm a bit puzzled as to where to start looking so any suggestions would be appreciated.
AU1XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2003, 06:13   #2 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

Re: EL Futura Stalling Randomly

The TFI module on the distributor is known to sometimes have problems. They get heat affected but don't necessarily just die outright - they can become intermittent first.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:39   #3 (permalink)

tfi modules do fail without warning - except an ef doesnt have a tfi module(nor a distributor), it has a dfi module which is located underneath the coil packs. the symptons u are describing definitely point to ignition related. if it were a fuel problem it wouldnt "as if key switched off" stall but lose power and then stop. u'r describing exactly what a tfi/dfi module/ignition pickup does when it fails.

i've found thru experience that what you're describing can only be a couple of things. one is the crank angle sensor. to test it, when the engine stalls, pour a shitload(watering can) of cold water over it(back of the harmonic balancer) and then see if it starts otherwise the dfi module - this is expensive even secondhand.

all of that is provided that when it stalls it is in fact spark that u have lost. hope that helps
TaraHymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2003, 14:30   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys I'll look into those suggestions and let you know
Old 10-11-2003, 04:42   #5 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

TaraHymen - ??? - I thought we were talking about an EL? - which DOES have a distributor type ignition same as the ED.
Old 10-11-2003, 04:43   #6 (permalink)

yep u'r right. for some reason i had it in my head an ef. sorry - had a blonde moment
TaraHymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 19:11   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFUTURA
The TFI module on the distributor is known to sometimes have problems. They get heat affected but don't necessarily just die outright - they can become intermittent first.

Thanks for that EDFUTURA it seems that it was indeed that. It played up again on the weekend and coincedently boiled at the same time, so that threw us a bit of red herring.

It had a dodgy thermostat and a weeping water pump (only leaking when running).

But my dad (he's a mechanic) just rang and said that after fixing the overheating problems with new parts it didn't play up, untill he drove it in the driveway of his shop (Lucky for him). They pushed it into the workshop and found that whilst it cranked there was no spark.

They blew cold air on the TFI module with the compressed air for a minute and away it went.

So he has ordered one up and hopefully that is exactly what it was.

Thanks again
Old 10-20-2003, 20:53   #8 (permalink)
-

When my bro's car did this, it wasnt the TFI module, but the hall effect sensor in the distributor. Keep an eye open for that :)

Jase
galapogos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 05:08   #9 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

Ahh - yes I should have mentioned that Ford recommend replacing both the hall effect sensor inside the dizzy and the TFI module together - I think there's reference to this on the Auto EMF site (apparently they reckon that if one fails then it stresses the other and often that will also fail shortly after as well).
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech