Ford Forums banner

EL head on EA Block?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Bass Crazy 
#1 ·
I have an EA 90 model (cfi) and the head gasket is on the brink, and as i am doing work on it, would it be worth putting a EL head and on? i know there is a fair bit of work involved with computers and dissys and the rest. i am sposably puting out 120Kw with the current engine, what type of jump will the new head give? and are there any major problems?

Replies would be greatly appreciated

#2 ·
I know they do swap across, but I think there willbe more probs because your car in CFI. Have to wait till some one in the know replies.
Should be a little power boost, dont think all that miuch. And i think some of the things dont line up properly, but still works.

Jase

#3 ·
I think the EL cam is a little too crazy for the CFI system isn't it? Appart from that i think it'd be a straight swap. Can't see why it can't be done.

#5 ·
The Ef/L head will bolt straight on. The cam will probably run ok with the CFI, but if not, you can just run the EA cam in it.

However, I would not advise you to do this with a CFI setup.
The reason for this is because the EF/L head will reduce your engines compression (on 3.9 bottom end). Also, the EF/L head (and cam) is designed for better high RPM performance, relying on the dual runner manifold to help it out at low rpm.
The CFI setup is not is known not to have high revving ability, so by installing the EF head, you will most likely see a drop in low-mid range torque, with minimal high end improvements if any.

If I were in your position, and wanted to keep the cfi setup, I would have a EA head recoed, decked, and the exhaust ports cleaned up a little, but thats about it.

On the other hand, a MPI converion will see a 19kW increase, with the same fuel consumption.

Just my 2c on the topic.

Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.