el head gasket - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2005, 20:15   #1 (permalink)

el head gasket

i've just found out my head gasket has gone, thinkin diy i have the proper ford repair manual so it shouldn't be to hard but there is no pictures in it and all the technical jargon is makin me feel dissy.
i'm wonder ing if anyone has any pictures of the job.
how to take off timing chain and any other tips from anyone.
elford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2005, 20:37   #2 (permalink)

Re: el head gasket

Bugger, I found this http://www.eafalcon.com/techpages/me...sket/index.htm

Looks good got pics!
I think mines on the way out Ford said it had a slight leak but still ok, theres staining on the block exhaust side, but it doesn't use any coolent or stuff so maybe it was does before I bought the car and Ford are just gay.

Ben
Benji2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 02:16   #3 (permalink)

Guys, can I give a bit of advice. I would never, never refit a cylinder head without having it checked and at the very least milled by a professional head shop. You don't have to have the valves done, or the head welded if it's OK, or if cash is tight. But it should be checked and milled to make sure all old gasket metarial is removed, and any slight warping or imperfections in the mating surface are corrected so that you have a completely flat and true mating surface. Only a few thou need come off. For the block surface, clean it off with a scraper and finish with a stainless steel scouring pad and a drop or two of kerosine to clean off oily esidue and prepare the block surface. Then blow down everything and finish with a clean rag.

Given the frequency with which Falcon head gaskets go, and the time and expense you are going to to do the job, a quick trip to the head shop can't be emphasised enough. Go to it! I've done heaps of heads on lots of cars. This is the approach I use and I've never had one come back.
fordboy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 06:09   #4 (permalink)

ford boy could not be any more right! any alloy head i have done a head gasket on i have had milled! and if you have the money put a set of valves and collets and stuff in it so you dont have to worry about them going or sinking into the head!
also a big thing with th falcon OHC engines is to check that the lifters havent failed before i bought the car it must have had a ****ed lifter for a long time because the cam had a groove in it from that lifter being solid for so long!
cheers
notty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 05:10   #5 (permalink)

And renew the head bolts when ya do it.
Old 01-14-2005, 22:07   #6 (permalink)

dont do all that bs jus take it off wipe it clean and chuck it bak on i never had a prob that way
dodgy bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 05:08   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J__Peter
Hi,

Tell me guys, am I immune?? from this dreaded head gasket problem.

Looking at a 1998 EL Ghia, with 34,000 km. Well should I be worried, full service history, stunning condition, it hasn't been driven by a lunatic and will get tlc from me with nothing to spare - no short cuts here, all to the book to say. I mean I won't buy, if this (gasket fault) is a random thing. I'd much rather my other choice av X300 Daimler Six - ok, a top line Jaguar - (1996 or 97) if its to be this way (prices here for Daimler are not much more than a excellent EL Ghia, something to think about).
Head gaskets are common - usually around 150,000 to 250,000. It is usually a result of poor maintenance of the cooling system (overheating an engine with an iron block and alloy head will always lead to trouble) . If you dont cook the engine, use quality coolant, replace leaking hoses etc you will get a lot of life out of the car.

When people have repeat head gasket problems, it is usally because the last gasket wasn't properly installed. Mating surfaces have to be CLEAN and FLAT, and head bolts must be done up to the specified torque settings. New head bolds should be used as they are TTY bolts and are made to stretch when they are first installed.

They are not a big deal to replace, if you own a torque wrench you can do it yourself.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech