el xr6 engine problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2004, 17:28   #1 (permalink)

confused el xr6 engine problem

Hi i have an el xr6. earlier today it stalled and would not start, i had to get it towed home by a mate. spark plugs are still sparking, i took out the fuel filter and checked that the fuel pump was still working which it was, the fuel filter was changed about 6 months ago. put the fuel filter back in and then the car started again. It chokes up when you push the accelerator down fast. Could it be an airflow sensor? fuel pressure?

P1ssed off Sterpz.
Sterpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2004, 17:33   #2 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Re: el xr6 engine problem

Make sure you check all your vacuum lines and connections.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 20:16   #3 (permalink)
A Gothic Romance...

lol sounds like the same problems i had with my EL XR6. Check your leads, TFI Module and the connectors in the dizzy cap. Under load (ie doing 50-60 in 4th gear) when pushing the pedal to the floor mine still stutters sometimes. I found out it was the leads. So give that a whirl.
Old 08-14-2004, 15:41   #4 (permalink)

A friend came over yesterday too look at it. I started it up and it was fine, but when it warmed up it started doinging its thing again. We think it might be the timing chain or the advance for the timing chain, that would explaine why the plugs are a it carboned up and why exhaust fumes come out of the throtle body. lol
Old 08-14-2004, 19:12   #5 (permalink)
A Gothic Romance...

My T/B stinks of petrol and the plugs foul up really easy. I think I just need to lean the mixture out. Maybe use a standard Falcon Fuel Regulator :/
Old 08-20-2004, 02:28   #6 (permalink)

i found out what it was the distributer cap was never on properly so it went out of timing now i have to re do the timing on it, but bfore that i have to see if the distributer gear is in the right spot. lol... More fun and games ah well. thanx for your help
Old 08-20-2004, 06:07   #7 (permalink)
A Gothic Romance...

Sterpz, change your leads, i reckon thats definetly the problem, thats what solved my problem. And the distributor CAP has nothing to do with the timing. Its the actual dizzy body that effects ignition timing.
Old 08-22-2004, 16:23   #8 (permalink)

yeah i know that but when the plate that holds the dizzi cap on isn't clicked into the right place the dizzi cap will be in the wrong place and will be able to move, there for the timing was out. We can get it started and it runs really smooth but then after a while it will just stall. Could 'nt be bothered with it any more so i took it to the mechanics lol :).
thanx anyway, it could be the leads but they aren't that old though.
Old 08-22-2004, 18:39   #9 (permalink)
A Gothic Romance...

lol that doesnt change the timing mate. That just holds the dizzy cap in place, its a guide-line for when you change your leads that you have them facing the right way. To change the ignition timing.... just behind the dizzy there is a little brass clamp and a bolt in it. Feel around with your fingers to find it. Get a an 13mm socket, 1 long extension bar, a shorter one, and a rachet. Looking down through the intake manifold gaps (the 3-4th port) u should be able to see the bolt and clamp. Undo the bolt a little bit. Now twist the dizzy left to advance (anticlockwise) and right to retard (clockwise) If you're gonna run an advanced setup run BP 98 Ultimate in your tank at all times.

As for the leads... Mine were 2 months old when they stuffed up.

Whereabouts are ya mate? You should come over and ill give you a hand hehe
Old 08-22-2004, 22:30   #10 (permalink)

yeah i have all ready done all that. But if the guide isn't in place the cap isn't in the right place and because the giude insn't in place the cap wont stay in the same spot will it which means the timing will go out but should go back to normal once the cap is put in the right place, yeah. Well well anyway you can get the car started and it will run really smooth but then it will all of a sudden die. ow well. did you end up storting out that axle tramp yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech