EL XR6 getting HOT ! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2005, 14:23   #1 (permalink)

confused EL XR6 getting HOT !

HI guys, hope you can help. My EL XR6 is getting rather hot. Its over heating but getting 3/4 on temp gauge. I flushed my coolant and oil but nothing changed. The car runs fine and I haven't noticed any real difference. Like I said the car does not overheat. Does anyone have any ideas? Any advice would be great!!!
sunni_xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2005, 01:08   #2 (permalink)

Re: EL XR6 getting HOT !

I have a ED XR6 and experienced a similar problem. Around town was no prob. but when towing a loaded car trailer up hill it started to get hot, even worse with the A/C on. I spoke to a radiator guy who showed me the tube size in my Ford radiator compared to the tube size in an aftermarket radiator. I purchased the a/market unit and haven't had a problem since. If you have a factory radiator with 12mm tubes get rid of it and get a 16mm tube item.

Hope this helps.
edxr6wag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 14:23   #3 (permalink)

Several things to consider.

1. Radiator as mentioned. Whilst you did flush it yourself, a professional flush will always produce a far better result. Changing oil doesn't do much for cooling prooblems.
2. Is the thermostat behaving correctly? Is it opening when the coolant gets hot? It may be jammed and not opening enough to permit adequate flow.
3. Are there any airlocks in the cooling system?
4. Are the thermo fans operating correctly? At normal temps and at idle both fans usually run at slow speed (they are 2 speed fans).
5. Is the gauge operating correctly ie, do you have an electrical problem?

Is the car overheating whilst moving? If it is, that suggests that it is not the fans, as ram air does most of the cooling under these circumstances. More likely to be thermostat. Or does the temp climb when the car is stataionary, in which case it may be the fans. And in the "too silly to be true" area, it might be the water pump impeller, but this is unlikely.

Good luck!
fordboy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 01:10   #4 (permalink)

El electric fans run in parallel for high and series for low, there is 3 relays that control them, the motors have a tendency to burn out with heavy use, have you checked that they are working? check that when the guage says HOT that it actaully is hot. the cooling systems are genrally OK on Els but your rad may be stuffed or thermostat sticking.
A7M
aussie7mains is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech