Emission controls on XF 4.1 carb - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2004, 02:00   #1 (permalink)

Emission controls on XF 4.1 carb

I'm the lucky (?????) owner of an '87 XF sedan, which set me back $800 plus a few repairs...

It doesn't go too good, so I'm fixing it up slowly, starting with the things I can do with less difficulty (& $$$). At least this one has an unleaded carb, the '86 unleaded XF I used to have had a leaded carb -- and don't you think THAT gave problems!

I've just kitted the carb, and replaced a few dodgy vacuum things, but the electronic emission controls are bugging me, bigtime. The problem is that the commonly available Ford manuals don't talk about them.

Actually, the Ford manuals are VERY lean on emission stuff -- as if they don't want me to touch it!

In particular, there's a red wire which terminates on the idle speed adjust with some fancy plastic that fits in a hole and the screw goes in that, but it makes absolutely NO electrical connection that I can detect -- OTH, if I disconnect it at the bullet, the idle does change a little. Currently it's set with the tension spring visible -- but I have this odd feeling that MAYBE the spring should be under the plastic...

Can some kind soul enlighten me, what IS this thing?

Also, where do I find the Ignition Timing Socket, and possibly the (a?) bridging plug?
gordon451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2004, 20:22   #2 (permalink)

Re: Emission controls on XF 4.1 carb

I thought my Ford Manual had a whole section on emission controls at the rear. Certainly timing instructions are in there.

From memory (I've since removed the carby setup and gone efi) the XF ULP carb has a heater at the base of the carb. I'd have to check to be sure. Don't know why removing the connector would effect idle....
Softride Powerwing
roofi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 21:22   #3 (permalink)

Thanks roofi.

Alas, no it's not the heater, which has two wires. This is on the idle speed adjust and has only one.

Yes there is a whole heap on emission at the back of the Ford manual, but it only deals with the vacuum lines and EGR. It says almost nothing about the electrical connections -- and even less about the ignition timing socket. The wiring diagrams do show some info, but it doesn't go anywhere recognisable.

The first manual I looked at was '85, and had no ULP stuff, but I would have thought the '87-'88 books would be more complete than they are.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:38   #4 (permalink)
gone

Welcome to forums
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 04:55   #5 (permalink)
mmm..Vee 8

IF i remember correctly that red wire was the throttle position sensor for the EST Computer for the electronic spark timing of the dizzy. There is also another red wire going to the idle control solenoid on the side of the carb..the spade connector had actually snapped off on mine and wasnt making proper contact 100% of the time...giving me a crap idle!.

As far as im aware there is also an actual EST supplement you need to order for the ford manual which talks about the electrical connections/diagrams for this system. Gregories also touches on it but not indepth. Gives you basic testing using the connectors near the brake booster.

Hope this Helps

Extreme

5/1994 ED Futura Classic 5.0 in Polyneisan Green - One of the last ever built
Extreme_2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 06:44   #6 (permalink)

Thanks laminge and Extreme_2020.

laminge -- I _do_ have an issue, but I'll raise it here: this forum ROCKS!!!!!

Extreme_2020, I do believe you've hit the jackpot. I'll certainly see if Ford can supply the EST supplement, 'cos right now my power/torque resembles a Nissan factory!

That other red wire you mention, I remember that! I thought it was the idle stop thingy, you know, to prevent run-on. Could be wrong but. Trouble with those is that old age catches up with them, and petrol is a lousy lubricant. The needle can't retract... Mind you, with a broken spade I wonder how you ever drove the car!

Reminds me of an old Wolseley 6 I used to have several decades ago -- pre-Customline era -- which had an electric fuel pump. Out in the middle of the Nullarbor (dirt road then) and stopping every hour or so to run cold water over it so I could get another 100K's...
Old 08-06-2004, 06:02   #7 (permalink)

Oh dear silly me. Of course the Ford manuals won't talk about my problems.

I went to the Library you see. The XF (as we all know) comes in two flavours, leaded and unleaded. Guess what manuals are in the Library system?

The emission stuff _I_ need is in the '87++ manual... Natch, it's for unleaded only. I see Pitstop has the manual I need, but at $150, I think I'll just put the car in to a Ford shop when I've got the engine bay organised.

Thanks to roofi and Extreme_2020, you're magic.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:22   #8 (permalink)

the xf carbs also have a throttle positone sensor on them it is green and has a single wire that plugs into it it this what you mean
xffalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 18:53   #9 (permalink)

Hi xffalcon. No, it's not the position sensor.

The Weber AD34 on the 4.1 has 4 electrical connections -- the 3.3 has 3:

At top, the auto choke has a yellow/white single wire, then the idle stop has a red/green wire, next is the throttle position sensor which is red, then two wires (red and black) go to the heater element which the 3.3 does NOT have.

The position sensor earths through the throttle linkages -- it's a simple make/break.

There is also a temperature sensor on the intake manifold, but I personally wouldn't consider this to be on the carby.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:53   #10 (permalink)
mmm..Vee 8

The Automatic 4.1 Carby Built after July 86 has no heater...only the manual i believe...mid production change.

5/1994 ED Futura Classic 5.0 in Polyneisan Green - One of the last ever built
Extreme_2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech