Engine change over - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2004, 02:26   #1 (permalink)

Engine change over

hey everyone,

ive got a ef falcon gli, not much power anymore, and my friends got a ed 6 with a dev 5 kit done to it and he will sell it to me cheap, just wondering is it possible to change over the whole engine in to my car including gearbox, as my gear box is starting to go aswell, what has to be done , what are the diffrences between the engines etc

thx for the help
Brnesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2004, 02:48   #2 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Re: Engine change over

Yes.
Auto?
Use your intake manifold and ignition, it's better unless he's has the car chipped. Even so it'll be a lot of hassles making the EF run an ED computer.

Since the EF computer requires the crank angle sensor, you will need the EF crank; to the best of my knowledge the sensor will not fit an ED crank. You could either use the whole EF bottom end (preferred as it gives you the knock sensor), or whack the EF crank/pistons in the ED motor to avoid having to replace the head gasket.

I know it sounds a bit daunting, but is not hard if you've got the two motors out anyway. AFAIK dev5 is all head/cam work, possibly he might have gotten the extractors too?

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 04:38   #3 (permalink)

hmmm ok, just one last question he got the whole DEV 5a kit, so should i take the computer with the chip from the ed and put it straight in to the ef or will the computer have problems. and when they change the compression that means they change stuff on the pistons yea? if so can the ed pistons and stuff be put on a ef crank or am i just talking alot of jibberish ?
Old 03-15-2004, 08:01   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brnesy
hmmm ok, just one last question he got the whole DEV 5a kit, so should i take the computer with the chip from the ed and put it straight in to the ef or will the computer have problems. and when they change the compression that means they change stuff on the pistons yea? if so can the ed pistons and stuff be put on a ef crank or am i just talking alot of jibberish ?
yea bit of jibberish there ...

EF computer will NOT like ED chip ....

chaging compression doesnt neccessarly mean changing pistons, you can increase compression ratio by decking the head, or decreasing compression ratio by using a spacer (evil)

I wouldnt even start mix matching piston, conrods and crank gear between engines ... just keep the bottom end in one piece ...

Just do the following:
- DEV5a head (ED) onto EF block
- swap over timing gear
- bolt DEV exhaust onto EF
- buy new chip for EF computer and use the rest of the EF gear

what u need to buy in addition:
- head gasket
- intake gasket
- exhaust gasket
- EF chip (not sure if u even need that one but what the hack)

thats probably gonna be much simpler and more efficient than swapping the entire engine. You probably find that the EF bottom end is in good nick, just that the EF top end is getting old.

Dunno about bolting ED tranny into EF, as far as i know they use different shifting programs, but i know that CAPA is offering shift kist for the EFs for around 375 bucks, which probably gonna improve the shifting a lot. And if u feel like spending some more $$$ get a newer/higher stall convertor.

Thats would be my plan of attack

Good Luck

Last edited by EvilChief; 03-15-2004 at 08:05.
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 17:01   #5 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelEB
Since the EF computer requires the crank angle sensor, you will need the EF crank; to the best of my knowledge the sensor will not fit an ED crank.
The crank sensor (toothed hub) is located on the harmonic balancer, not the crank.
He will need the the EF timing cover though as it has the sensor.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 04:01   #6 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Why not just put the head into the ED motor?
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 05:09   #7 (permalink)

well my cars been thrashed abit. so what would i have to check to make sure the bottem end is still good, also what diffrences are there in a ed and ef head?
Old 03-16-2004, 05:15   #8 (permalink)

if ur mates ED has a DEV5 kit it has got a replacemnt head from JM. All the goodies of teh DEV kit sit in the head, naturally you want to use the head and its goodies in it. teh DEV series doent touch the bottom end , except the DEV6.
Thast y id suggest to just use the top end and leave the bottom end alone. besides destroying a bottom end with a NA car takes a while. Falcon bottom ends are good for 200kw at wheels, and last for ever ...
Old 03-16-2004, 05:25   #9 (permalink)

ok kool, cause i was beginning to worry cause my car has lost a s*** load of power and got a real bad oil leak now :(. so like can i put my old ef head on the ed to get rid of the car?

Last edited by Brnesy; 03-16-2004 at 06:20.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:20   #10 (permalink)
Look! A flying orangutan!

Yep.

Pacemaker headers + 2.5" exhaust
EF Fairmont interior
MP3 player
Lowered King springs
5 speed manual
EF motor

Newest mod: EF Ghia wiring loom and dash
mongrelEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech