Engine computers - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2003, 06:48   #1 (permalink)
WHAT THE?

Engine computers

Got my car back from the mechanics today (where it's been for the past week) and they have told me I need aftermarket engine management, like a Unichip. The reason for this is because the car is running WAY to rich because of the stage 3 cam. They told me the car has 14 inch pounds of vaccum at idle instead of the usual 21....if that means anything to anyone???? They also said the MAP sensor is basically doing nothing now because the cam's taken it out of it's range and the engine is running on 'factory preset' fuel maps which are far from ideal.

So I was wondering if anyone can recommend any brands of engine computers or if they have had experience with the aftermarket gear. I was looking at getting a Unichip but have heard a mixed response on whether they're any good or not. Wanna get this done ASAP so any help would be great.

Cheers,
Doug.
SPHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2003, 08:16   #2 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Re: Engine computers

Unichip are the best of that type of chip. Others will tell you to go Wolf3d, HALTECH, or some other types of adjustable piggy back computer. It all comes down to the flexibility you want (and how much you want to pay).

As far as the programmed, plug-in chips go, Unichips are still good - just don't get them confused with Powerchip, and I haven't really heard either way about Chiptorque chips.

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 16:47   #3 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

You could also try an XR6 ECU - I know for certain that they are far more tolerant of poor idle vacuum (ie. seem to still be within a "working" range) so presumably also are ok from there up?.

You should be able to find one for something like $200 to $250 - but be careful to try and get one that's definitely out of a sedan - else you might end up with a 160/170 kph speed limiter if it's out of a ute or wagon. If it's an auto then the XR6 ecu will be programmed for 3.45 diff ratio - but even with a 3.08 diff the effect won't be too radical - you'll find in economy mode it's maybe a tad reluctant to kick down and might tend to change up sooner than it should - in power mode tho it should behave like it used to in economy (shifts at normal points etc.).
Old 09-29-2003, 17:17   #4 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

He has a 5 speed anyway. He'd need to get a non smartlock non integrated trans if it were an auto or not.

Leaves a window of 2/92 - 10/92 of ecu'savalible he can use so the chances of findng an xr6 manual in that time indow are slim.
Old 09-29-2003, 20:00   #5 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

Ahh - ok - yep, in that case a Unichip or plug in module might be the go then.
Old 09-30-2003, 01:59   #6 (permalink)

Basically as the vaccum goes down the computer thinks the engine is now under load, its the larger cam is causing this. The computer then is dumping in excess fuel, even the std amount of fuel at idle is usually too much with a larger cam.

The unichips is light years ahead the plug-in chips. This is because they are tuned when they are installed. I wouldn't touch the Wolf3d with a 50' pole! Its like going from a calculator to an abacus.
not ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2003, 02:26   #7 (permalink)
Birth, Drift, Death...

co-incedentally i have a EB XR6 computer up for sale, manual, no smartlock, 10/92, though it has issues - at full throttle at the moment it pours in fuel like you would not believe - 10:1 air/fuel ratio instead of about 12:1. i have a thread running in the general tech section atm, though thinking about it now i think i should have put it in the I6 forums...

197.4hp at the wheels, 14.505@152.46km/h
Tuning in progress...
*CLICK TO SEE MY XR6*
I can get new Genuine Holden/Ford/Audi/Land Rover/Honda parts cheap, PM me!
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 07:41   #8 (permalink)
tgoodlich@hotmail*****

Unichips are rip offs and basic pieces of hardware and software. I'd go with the new exede for piggy back or the new EmS 8860 for full programability. I'm currently putting in an ems 8860 into a EA MFI at the moment. Its a full plug in affair, should be ready in a couple of weeks as just doing it in my spare time
turbotrana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 18:15   #9 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

Anyone got any rough prices to go with these Chips?

Simon.
Old 10-01-2003, 23:15   #10 (permalink)
Not a Joe Lunchpail

$1.50 for a standard scoop of chips at the takeaway down the street. Hope this helps.
yeah right is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech