Ford Forums banner

Engine conversion

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  torpa 
#1 ·
Has anyone put a AU 2002 4L engine into a NA or EA etc? I want to replace my 3.9 if possible so any advice would be helpfull.

#3 ·
its been done before and since its pretty much the same bolck the engine will bolt straight in. You will need to hook up the new ecu and if i remember correctly there are some issues with the aircon and the heater pipes. some adjusments are required. talk to mongrel eb. he's a living encyclopedia when it comes to falcons.

#4 ·
Hehe cheers sleepwalker :)

Basically yeah it'll bolt straight in. Problems with the aircon only arise if you're using the serpentine belt and your a/c compressor has less than 6 ribs. In many cases a car will be using an aftermarket compressor which will have umpteen million belts. You could get one of these to fit, or make do with a 4-rib belt on the front of the motor. Until I blew the motor up, I had a 4-rib belt on the front due to dropping a screwdriver in it while the motor was on and stripping 2 ribs off :fraz:
So 4 ribs will work.
If you use the serpentine belt, you will also need the alternator, power steering pump, and thermofans. Actually the alternator you will need anyway as it's a totally different shape to all the others.

You can bolt the EA intake to it, but if I was you I'd use an EL manifold with an ED injector harness. An EL computer will match the EA plug but you need to add 5 wires, on the bright side you will get thermofan and BBM control. I can send you a pinout sheet if you want.

OK think that's it - bellhousings all match up so you won't need to change the box.

Alex

#8 ·
mongrelEB,Just a few questions,some may sound silly but please bear with me,I have The AU Series3 Engine and was doing some measurements against my 3.9 and my Air Cond brackets,Alt Pwr Steering pump brackets all seem to bolt up ok so can I just transfer them over to the AU Engine as well as the Harmonic Balancer as mine only has 4 ribs where I think the AU one has 6?

#9 ·
I have to do this in sections as if I make it too long I get logged out.More questions,What is the reason for using the EL manifold and the ED injector set up and can I use my Dizzy and coil,What is BBM control? there are two looms coming from the timing cover area do I have to hook these up and if so what to?Can I use my Computer or do I need the EL one like you mentioned,and the 5 wires that you mentioned can you post a pinout diagram?

#10 ·
There is a plug on the back of the Head,do you know what it is for.Will the thermostat housing bolt up ok and can I use my standard fan or do I need Thermo fans.What is a sepentine belt?sorry about all the questions but hopefully I can learn a bit by youre own conversion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.