engine conversion - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2004, 06:39   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up engine conversion

i dont no if you guys no much bout nissans, but they have a inline 6 motor, and i interested if i could put a rb25det easily into a 180sx, which originally had a sr20, what woudl be involved in detail and woudl it cos tmuch (and also coudl ya tell us whats the major performance and strenght differences between the sr20 and the rb25det)

cheers all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2004, 13:01   #2 (permalink)

Re: engine conversion

i have zero idea why your posting this on a ford site, as opposed to somethign like, www.nissansilvia.com where this information is readily available, and alot of people on that site have completed the exact conversion your talking about.

so yes it can be done, depending on what you want to acheive would be as to why you woudl want to do it, the 6 can easily provide 300 rwkw whereas the sr20 with the same 300 rwkw wouldnt be driveable by any means on the street.

still... why ask on a ford site a blatent question about nissans ?
Old 12-22-2004, 14:35   #3 (permalink)

scott: yes its not a too hard conversion. just yesterday i met up with a guy who has a rb20 in his 180sx, plenty of space to fit the rb engine and everything else you need (makes the sr look tiny). Since the rb25 is identical to the rb20 (physical size) i dont see a problem dropping it in, however i suggest some minor improvemnts, if you do the conversion.
get rid of the standard RB20/25 intake manifold and use a greddy log style setup, first better flow and design, second more bonnet clearance and third reduced intercooler piping, hence less lag.

otehr than that is quite easily doable as long as you use a front cut. wiring loom etc has to be all transferred, aslo i recommend using and aftermarket ecu, rather than the std unit (ie apexi).

cheers
mic
Old 12-22-2004, 16:14   #4 (permalink)
BEER I NEED BEER

uese a vl bottom end and a skyline head works great as a combo and you get half a litre more capasity.
Old 12-22-2004, 16:18   #5 (permalink)

note you cant use the rb20 head with the vl bottom end, unless you want custom pistons, also i heard one or two oil galleries need to be blocked with that combo
Old 12-23-2004, 00:41   #6 (permalink)

It fits but very tight! Pusher fans are required due to clearance and clutch changes are virtually impossible without dropping the crossmember.

Its best to get a R32 crossmember and use that. The conversion I worked on used Mazda RX7 ser 4 engine mounts which are thiner and did not have bonnet clearance problems. The stock clutch blew up on the dyno and it was an absolute prick to change it out so be warned.
not ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 03:37   #7 (permalink)
BEER I NEED BEER

rb25 head not rb20
Old 12-23-2004, 03:37   #8 (permalink)
BEER I NEED BEER

if you want anything decient i would be getting good pistons anyway
Old 12-23-2004, 03:38   #9 (permalink)
BEER I NEED BEER

if you want anything decient i would be getting good pistons anyway while you have it apart, do it at once instead of pulling it apart 5 times or so
Old 12-23-2004, 04:02   #10 (permalink)
Swanny

Notice that scottr33gtst hasn't typed back...

Maybe he wanted to know how to fit a BA gear knob into his conversion?
ELwilldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech