Engine stopped - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2004, 22:10   #1 (permalink)

Engine stopped

Just got my gas system installed, however the car died later on in the day.
I had already driven it for about 40-50km's during the day, when as i was taking off from an intersection, te car started to sound as if it was missing, some of the cylinders were not firing. Then the car backfired (not that loudly either) and the engine turned off. I tried to switch it back to petrol and start it, and when my mates showed up to help me tow it back home (luckily only about 500m down the road) we checked for spark, and it had that, also checked that all the wiring on the gas system was plugged in, and it was. The mechanic that installed it will be looking at it tomorrow, However i was wondering if there was anything that i may have missed? Do you guys have any ideas on what else could be wrong?
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2004, 00:23   #2 (permalink)

Re: Engine stopped

u may need to readjust a few things such as the air screw, idle screw and the choke.
how did it run during the period that it actually did run, was it normal or sluggish?
your timing may even need to be readjusted. i have two of the same carb and a stock mechanical fuel pump, if i switch between the two carbs i have to readjust the timing and the idle screw a bit, maybe the samething with the different pumps. but it does sound like timing to me with te missing and backfiring.
Old 02-12-2004, 00:27   #3 (permalink)

Sorry forgot to tell you i drive an XG ute, which has the ED 4.0L in it, so im guessing its the electrics associated with the computer that may have stuffed it up
Old 02-12-2004, 11:40   #4 (permalink)

yea i dont know much about electonics'n'stuff, thats why i got an old engine.
Old 02-13-2004, 00:50   #5 (permalink)

id say your TFI moduel is stuffed just go out and buy a new complete distributer because if you just replace the moduel the hall effect in the dizzy is probly worn and the shaft e.t.c so best to do the whole lot at once
red ea s-pack 5 speed, engine, 4 wheels + spare, steering wheel, brakes, suspension, exhaust, 20w x 4 stock standerd stereo system, diff (rear wheel one), clutch, seats (including 2 retractable front seats) all with seat belts. Performance Mods : air filter removed, fuel filter removed, some guards taken off for weight reduction.
daza_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 01:41   #6 (permalink)
known as tibbo

check the obvious first.. the gauge on the tank itself, not the poxxy one in the dash.. Some installers only bang a few bucks in a fresh instal

Failing that does it still run on fuel or is a dedicated LPG system?
RaceCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 22:10   #7 (permalink)

It happenned again. I replaced the starter motor while the engine has been dead, then decided to see how well that worked, and suprise suprise the engine starts, revs and seems to be running quite well, I switch it between fuel and gas give it a rev on both and check that it is idling correctly. Everything was working fine and i left it on for about 15 min (about 5 on fuel 10 on gas). So then i decide to take it for a drive and in about 100m of putting it in drive, it gives a big shudder and shuts down, exactly what happenned before.

Now I have to get it fixed properly, the only thing i can think that is doing this is that it is over fueling, gives a bit of a backfire and the knock sensor shuts the engine down, either that or it overfuels and just floods the engine.
Is this theory sound or do you guys have any other reasons this could be happening?
Old 02-16-2004, 03:04   #8 (permalink)

did you try the distributer and the model like i said before, it really does sound like its that, the starter motor will only give you trouble when your tring to start the car.
red ea s-pack 5 speed, engine, 4 wheels + spare, steering wheel, brakes, suspension, exhaust, 20w x 4 stock standerd stereo system, diff (rear wheel one), clutch, seats (including 2 retractable front seats) all with seat belts. Performance Mods : air filter removed, fuel filter removed, some guards taken off for weight reduction.
daza_mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech