Engine upgrade ideas? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2004, 05:40   #1 (permalink)

Question Engine upgrade ideas?

hey guys,
well im trying to think about what to do with my engine (slowly do it up with bits here and there or go to JMM)

i wont be doing it until im 18, which is another 9months and counting!

anyway Jim quoted me this setup, just wondering on people thoughts...

DEV1 Performance kit $1190

Race-Series Headers + $245

Pod Hi-flow air kit $190
*The DEV Hi-Flow Air kit for your EB2 includes a high volume intake from the atmosphere to the air box, a K&N washable filter in the air box and a hi-volume 3 connector from the air box to the manifold*

Total $1625

i will be after down low power rather than up high, i know its a lot to spend on headers but i have heard GREAT things about the race series, and i have always been a man to spend a bit more to get the job done right.

also has anyone had their car lowered by JMM? and also does JMM do a free tune that is included in the DEV price? any experience that people have with the tuning would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Daniel :D

mods coming:
* clear front & side blinkers
* exaust
EBII Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2004, 06:08   #2 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

Re: Engine upgrade ideas?

I've had great results from JMM, and I think there race series headers are one of the best (if not the best) money can buy.
They are pretty decent guys to do business with too.

As with anything, there are other companies who do performance parts for the I6, but because that's all JMM do (the I6), I feel they have a bit of an edge on the rest, but that's just my opinion.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 03:14   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soxx
I've had great results from JMM, and I think there race series headers are one of the best (if not the best) money can buy.
They are pretty decent guys to do business with too.

As with anything, there are other companies who do performance parts for the I6, but because that's all JMM do (the I6), I feel they have a bit of an edge on the rest, but that's just my opinion.

Rick.
Rick
Did mock motorsport do all your mods to get that 14.4 time in your sig.
If so what stage?Just weighing up the cost of a CAM/head/chip work for $5000 sounds waaaaay too much for my liking,when Ive got a VCT to start with.
Old 08-12-2004, 03:30   #4 (permalink)
Dev 5 Mutant

If its a VCT engine, speak to Casper. He's got a VCT and has done some homework on whats available/what can work.

I'd be doing the JMM route however a 5k tax bill has put a stop to that....
Cam install by Crescent Motorsport, Liverpool

Dyno

Timeslip
loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 03:44   #5 (permalink)
no tire smoke no fun!

for 5k I'd get a AU donk, and do the work on it myself and I know i get squeeze 190kw (flywheel) out of it and it will be quite buletproof.

1100$ for a tube, k&n panel replacement, extractors i think is a bit of a rip off,

400$ will get you some good extractors, 120$ for a K&N panel filter, the tube any exhaust shop will make it for under 120$ and it will be polished and you can jethot coat it, you can add a cam to that for about 200$ and $300 for hiflow cat with some good muffler and mandrel bend pipes, proly a litte bit more then JMM but it will eat a EB done by JMM to dev1 specs.

My 2 cents worth

There is a war inside my head, if I take a day off I'll die!

This cat, is cat, a cat, good cat, way cat, to cat, keep cat, a cat, idiot cat, busy cat, for cat, 20 cat, seconds cat! Now read it all without the word cat!
zbenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 03:52   #6 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 VCT UTE
Rick
Did mock motorsport do all your mods to get that 14.4 time in your sig.
If so what stage?Just weighing up the cost of a CAM/head/chip work for $5000 sounds waaaaay too much for my liking,when Ive got a VCT to start with.
I have a JMM DEV5 head, but I did installation myself, and I did an engine rebuild and balancd the bottom end at the same time.
Whilst I didn't pay 5k anyway, as I did most of the work myself, I still feel 5k is fair and reasonable for a drive in/drive out package which gives you a genuine 170rwkw+.
If you can show me proof of another combination which has produced the numbers my ute has, and cost less, then do so.

Rick.
Old 08-12-2004, 05:55   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbenga
but it will eat a EB done by JMM to dev1 specs.
but zbenge your system you have sugested only has one extra part, the cam, corret me if im wrong

i think JMM would beat aftermarket parts head to head

are the race series headers built for down-low or up-high power?

mods coming:
* clear front & side blinkers
* exaust
EBII Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 06:04   #8 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

The race series headers are dsigned to broaden the power curve, so they work everywhere.

Rick.
Old 08-12-2004, 16:26   #9 (permalink)
Love having 3 peddles

The only car that I know that has come close to Soxx's ute is Quickcorty's EA with a 14.6 He went the after market route, with wade cam, pacey extractors, 2.5 zort, 3.45 diff, 5 speed man. Don't know if he has done head work. But the car has done 300K on the original engine.
Old 08-13-2004, 21:04   #10 (permalink)
no tire smoke no fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBII Falcon
but zbenge your system you have sugested only has one extra part, the cam, corret me if im wrong

i think JMM would beat aftermarket parts head to head

are the race series headers built for down-low or up-high power?
well a cam with that setup is good for about 8rwkw, don't get me wrong JMM could be doing a good deal but from anyone I have heard their numbers just don't addup on the dyno, nor on the drag strip. The I6 has very good torque charasteristics so 10kw at the fly wheeel will feel what to other cars 20kw would feel if not more keep that into consideration.

If i see dyno proof on JMM dev kits backed up by a good 1/4 mile time I rest my case until them I think rkw/$ they are very expensive. I mean for the Dev1 you can but all the parts off the shelf and fit them yourself and get a much better deal, come one 50$ to fit a panel filter ? there are only 4-5 clips you need to undo and change it!

There is a war inside my head, if I take a day off I'll die!

This cat, is cat, a cat, good cat, way cat, to cat, keep cat, a cat, idiot cat, busy cat, for cat, 20 cat, seconds cat! Now read it all without the word cat!
zbenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech