Ford Forums banner

Exhaust Note for XR6

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  EFJase 
#1 ·
I just read this from an old thread located at:

http://www.fordforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8950&highlight=exhaust+note

------------------
Mal, I actually contacted Tickford Technical direct for the best option (additional performance and exhaust note) for my XR6, and they advised that the most simple solution for the least cost and maximum effect is yes, get rid of the rear resonator.
I assume that the same would apply to the XR8.(Why don't they just offer this as another option?)

However without getting off the track, (just for other readers) where the AUXR6 is concerned, according to the T/Tech.if you're after additional performance , you won't get any additional from after market headers etc versus just loosing the resonator unless you also put in a performance chip.
--------------------

Can anyone confirm this, as a cheap mod to make the exhaust note sound good?

Anyone done it ?

Any thoughts, opinions ?

See less See more
#2 ·
It will be louder may sound better but sound is a personel thing,the big drawback for would be droning iside the car,I like my noise outside not inside

#3 ·
I just want it to be loud, but with a good note - inside & out !

#6 ·
So do you guys think I should get the resonator removed ?

Should I keep my one exhaust outlet blocked off like all normal VCT exhausts ?

How much should this cost ?

Thanks.

#7 ·
Well I have done it.

I had Midas remove the resoantor after the catalytic converter and the one just before the exhaust tip.

While I was there I also chose a new exhaust tip - called a "dump pipe" which looks tough.

COST:
To remove both resonators $80
New exhaust tip $50

EXHAUST NOTE:
I am very happy with the result.

Inside the car - Previously at idle, I couldn't even tell whether the car was on or off. Now there is a slight audible note at idle. When it's revving above 2500 it sounds nice - but not too loud or intusive. There is no droaning.

Outside the car - The exhaust sounds magic at idle, with a nice burble, which again isn't too loud. When the car takes off it sounds very nice.

I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS TO ANYONE.

#8 ·
#10 ·
I put a resonator ON (thought it was a bit loud) my car and it made no difference, so i ended up not buying it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.