Extractors and air flow query - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2002, 16:26   #1 (permalink)
Mmmm, forbidden donut

Question Extractors and air flow query

Hi all,

I have around $300 - $400 to spend on some minor performance mods to the XE. I have decided that the way to go is to help out its breathing a bit. Now its a standard 250 crossflow six with no mods at present. I'm not expecting or desiring a huge boost in power.

From what I understand to get better performance via air flow improvements you have to optimise all elements, ie. eliminate bottlenecks in flow. So ideally I would need to consider exhaust, intake manifold, airbox and filter, carburrettor and extractors. Obvioulsy I can't afford to do all these things with my budget so I was wondering if just extractors would provide a slight increase in performance or whether the other elements in the system (eg. standard exhaust) would be bottlenecks and negate any improvements.

Matt
The Mighty XE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2002, 17:17   #2 (permalink)
goooone

just extractors will help the Hp situation but the trick is to make sure all the parts match & work together because if you go to wild in one area but not in another you will just make your car a pig to drive
Mr Jucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 18:04   #3 (permalink)
Two SC 61's = trouble

Yep good exhaust. On my old X.D I fitted a Redline inlet and small 2 barrel Holley carb 320 cfm ??or there abouts.Try to get the one with float bowl to the front.It actually helps on fuel economy too,don't have to kick it down as much and use the torque of the engine.Inlet about $190 from K.B engine parts Powers rd Bayswater..www.kbengineparts.com
Holley about $2-300.00 {ex recon} Need a low air cleaner that drops around carb "a must"...

Your car may have a 2 barrel std webber?? Not too sure when they started with them?? If not I guess they can be retrofitted as well ???
Passengers, myocardial infarction material..
R.I.P Possum...
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 16:32   #4 (permalink)

Re: Extractors and air flow query

i have 1979 3.3L TE Cortina
i got more performance gain from new inlet system (holley 350 and redline manifold) than extractors and exhaust. as ebxr8240 said, response in the holley is great, responds like a manual. i didnt really notice any performance gain with my extractors and exhaust, maybe i got the exhaust for too cheap... i dunno ($225 full system, 80$ 2nd hand near new extractors)
Pneumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 04:14   #5 (permalink)
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe

Re: Extractors and air flow query

go for a redline intake, and holly carby....

XE Fairmont Ghia... Silver/Grey Met over black, soon to be v8, cant wait till i get another v8, after 3 LONG HARD YEARS

http://home.iprimus.com.au/diablo_vt/xeesp.swf
MaD_WoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech