Extremely Shoddy... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2004, 03:50   #1 (permalink)

mad Extremely Shoddy...

I got my wade 1004@112 cam a couple of weeks ago and have had it sitting around, waiting for the finances to have it installed. I was originally going to take it up to a mechanic in Taree (Mid North Coast NSW) that I both know and trust, but in the end inpatience and my financial situation got the better of me...

Last Thursday I rang around some Mechanics workshops in the Chatswood area looking for someone who would install the cam for me. After about 7 calls to shops in the area I found someone who said they would install it no worries, I explained how the lifters need to be shimmed and they said "no worries", and booked in for monday, first thing. Upon arrival I was informed that I would need to leave it there all day, which wasn't a problem, and was told I would be called when it was done. About 2pm I get a call saying that I "needed a full lifter kit from ford and it would cost about $480, because the lifters couldn't be taken out without damage. I was shocked, and called Wade cams in Melbourne, and told the technician the story, and he basically said "bullshit, that he had done heaps without damage or dramas". I asked him if he would mind calling the shop in question and explain that to them for me, which he did in a great example of customer service.

Ten minutes later, the workshop ring me to say they have located a seal kit for $30 and they would round the price off for me, which I agreed to. They needed the car overnight, and said they would get the seals the following morning, and we agreed on a price of $240 installed for the cam and everything.

All was well until I ring the workshop at 1pm today and asked about my car, and the mechanic involved got on the phone and had a big whinge about having to drive to Rockdale to get the seals, and tried to jack up the price on me again, and I flatly refused, saying $240 was the price and thats what the cheque was made out for.

I finally went to pick it up at 4:30 this afternoon, paid the bill and went to the rooftop carpark to get it and drive home, and what a surprise, one of the lifters is ticking like a bastard. I swear I feel like shooting someone, and the whole episode has got me hating cars/mechanics/performance mods etc...

What the F*ck do I do now?!?!
peter_vod69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2004, 04:51   #2 (permalink)
EFII Ghia owner

Re: Extremely Shoddy...

thats bullshit, changing a cam is very easy on fords I6, me and my brother changed the cam ourselves in his EB in only a couple of hours, with mucking around. we had no problems at all.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:22   #3 (permalink)

On top of the window tint place?

ps:
You should ALWAYS replace the lifters with a new cam. Thats probably where the noise is coming from.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 05:25   #4 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

what do you do?? take it back and demand they do the job properly. it wasnt ticking when you gave it to them so why should it be ticking when they give it back.....another great thing to remember if you really want to make them pull their head out of their arse is to tell them that youve already spoken to consumer affairs (or whatever they call themselves now), and you are under instruction to contact them immediatley if the mechanic refuses to rectify the problem. tell the mechanic this is he flatly refuses to fix your car.
trust me he'll get straight onto it.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:31   #5 (permalink)
YES its a 5 Speed!!

Gotta hate that... nothing worse when dodgy mechanics f*ck u around, when my parents decided to have their car serviced at a new place i put a discrete mark in texta on the oil filter to check whether it was changed or not. to my surprise it wasnt changed when we had been charged for one. confronted them and they denied it all. sometimes you cant win... my advice is that u go abck and tell them to fix it for free, or if they dont you will be getting very public about there sub standard services. try that sorry to hear about your bad luck anyway mate, hows the new cam go BTW???

For Sale: 2001 Yamaha WR400F
PM me for info
Supa R00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 05:34   #6 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

Just go's to show that if you want somthing done well do it yourself.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 02:33   #7 (permalink)

Yeah, I know TIKFD6.

If I thought I coulda done the job, I would have. I don't trust myself much under the bonnet, so I wimped out and let someone else do it. The thing that shits me is, if I had known a decent place in Sydney this may never have happened.

I still can't believe just how bad their service is, do they honestly expect any return business?
Old 05-12-2004, 02:35   #8 (permalink)

Oh, and thanks to these assholes, I haven't had the chance to experience what all the fuss is about re the 1004@112 cam. Really pisses me off that I have had more revhead moments in the girlfriends corolla so far this month...
Old 05-12-2004, 05:06   #9 (permalink)
Experimental Racer#6

I wasnt trying to be a smart ass mate, but, you never know unless you try.
Buy yourself a Gregories and Max Ellery's manual, between them they have alot of good info that i have learnt alot from.
TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 06:10   #10 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer
On top of the window tint place?

ps:
You should ALWAYS replace the lifters with a new cam. Thats probably where the noise is coming from.
No need, they are OH roller cams........

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech