factory gas issues.. help please - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2005, 21:41   #1 (permalink)

factory gas issues.. help please

hey.
my factory fitted gas in my ef fairmont i6 is having issues. when i say issues... i mean it isnt working when ya try switch to it the engine just stops. and when ya try start on gas it just starts for like a second then switches off(i guesse it starts on petrol then switches)

any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
travis
travis_ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2005, 04:02   #2 (permalink)

Re: factory gas issues.. help please

yep .. i had the same thing with my EL so i did away with the converter and put 1 on from the wrecker and now its all good ... I was told that you can get your factory 1 rebuilt but someone else told me if you do that it still wont be as good as before
Old 01-11-2005, 04:50   #3 (permalink)

how much did a second hand one cost ya?
Old 01-11-2005, 18:50   #4 (permalink)

take of the sensor from the gas out of the converter and see if there is any water there if yes replacing it is best option, give it a crank if u don see any water to see if any comes slpurting out.
how long since its been serviced severe wax build up can also result in this.
second hand cost arnd $150 but are rare, the viale ones, factory fitted.
new one should be arnd the $500 mark if u ask arnd.
rebuilding is not as good as there is no guarantee that it will last, we talked to a ford dealer and he said to our face that i don know how long it'll last.
elford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 02:03   #5 (permalink)

i took the car in for a roadworthy today (still need to get it rego'd in my name) and the bloke said that the extractors are too close to the gas unit... could this have anything to do with the prob?
Old 01-12-2005, 04:07   #6 (permalink)

no not the exhaust but you have to have 30mm from the exhaust to the gas lines or converter if under that you need a exhaust shield the gas in the tank is about -30* and it users the water to bring it to air temp so its gas so a lot of heat is bad thats why you need a exhaust shield ... other then that take it to another shop and ask them to pull the converter apart and put a kit in it i was told a few mths ago that it could be done to mine for about $90 i never did it i went .b.r.c.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:52   #7 (permalink)

Have had a few problems with the stepper motors that are fitted to the convertors on these. Checking them is very easy. Remove the stepper motor, leaving the electrical connector attatched. Press the gas/petrol switch with the ignition OFF (this forces the system to start on gas, not petrol as it normally would). Turn the ignition ON, and watch the stepper motor, it should retract all the way in. If it doesnt move, its stuffed, buy a new one. When these fail it wont run on gas.
smally351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:55   #8 (permalink)

oops from the exhaust to the gas line there must be a gap of 15cm anything under that needs a shield.......... you can check the stepper motor by pulling the plug apart but it easy to figger out if it stalls on gas and not petrol there is something wrong with your gas not your car or petrol but still try it couse its free to do your self ....

... right at this very time my ea cfi is reving up and down and stalling today me and my boss had a quick look after work and it is sooooo rich so i got a 8mm spanna and moved the idle mixer and the bloody thing striped the thread so now i have to pull it apart and rekit it $26 bux or go to the wreckers and get a 2nd hand one but whats to say it wont do the same thing ?
Old 01-13-2005, 03:09   #9 (permalink)

[QUOTE=trick_xd]oops from the exhaust to the gas line there must be a gap of 15cm anything under that needs a shield.......... you can check the stepper motor by pulling the plug apart but it easy to figger out if it stalls on gas and not petrol there is something wrong with your gas not your car or petrol but still try it couse its free to do your self ....

The stepper motor is for the gas system, its mounted on the convertor. Dont confuse it with the idle speed controller on the throttle body
smally351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech