Filters = Pod vs Panel - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2004, 20:13   #1 (permalink)
Gonna miss the ED :(

Filters = Pod vs Panel

Hey guys i got the panel filter and i was just wondering what (if any) differences there are between the two?
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2004, 20:43   #2 (permalink)
jjj

Re: Filters = Pod vs Panel

Panels are generally better than pods unless you make a cold air feed for the pod. The problem with all e-series cars is that the intake scoop is on top of radiator shroud(this area gets hot) then feeds top to bottom in the air box. Holden use a better idea and take the air from behind the passenger headlight(much cooler) and air feeds from bottom to top. Quick and cheap mod on all holdens VK efi-VS commodores is to hole saw 100mm directly through the bottom of box and then run 100mm flexible piping down under wheel arch.

cheers JJJ
jjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 20:55   #3 (permalink)
Yes, fords still kick

I am using a K&N Pod at the moment running off a XH snorkel, I find that I get slightly better top end urge using the Pod than the K&N panel which I also own. The difference is negligible though and the Panel looks heaps neater and is good as it is roadworthy!
Old 01-26-2004, 22:17   #4 (permalink)

pods are roadworrthy in vic now as long as it is fixed securely i.e not haging of the inlet tube lolol
1994 White ED Futura Classic, clear front indicators, au2 clear side indicators, 95mm ride height obtained via king springs, camber kit, fairmont velour interior, 5" monster tacho, au2 17" xr8 rims, alpine mp3 deck, pioneer ts-d 6.5" front splits, 8" pioneer rear speakers, 50x4rws pioneer amp, 12" mtx thunder 8000 dvc sub, alpine mono block sub amp, k&n pod filter, 4.11's lsd, jmm dev-5 kit
EDFPV-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 00:28   #5 (permalink)

my god, filters
i'll get a panel if i get that far
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 00:56   #6 (permalink)
LET EM' RIPPP

I run an EF Air box in my car with a RushO2 performance air filter (RRP $100).

I could not notice any difference between this filter and a $7 supercheap auto filter... seriously.

The air box itself has some flow restrictions, so IMO, panel filters are a waste of money unless you sort that out first. On the other hand, its hard to beat a 3" pipe connected to a pod in the wheel arch, thats if you don't mind cutting holes that is.

As for ram air, I think everyone at the last Heathcote meet in melb proved that to be almost useless.

My 2c for the day

Simon
Old 01-27-2004, 01:02   #7 (permalink)
I am a Turbo Wanker

Go the panel filter, unless you have a sure fire better way of making a pod work, the factory panel setup is just fine. But at the end of the day, the filter will make zero difference to how the car performs. Autospeed have proven this. I still run stock intake and stock filter (30,000kms on the filter) and my car is still faster than it should be, the Ford setup is just fine unless you wanna run a turbo/supercharger.

By all means spend the money on a reusable air filter but don't expect to go any faster. Any one telling you it does is probably just experiencing the psychological 'go-faster'. If you swapped their airfilter without telling them I bet they'd never know the difference!
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech