Fuel Economy down the drain - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2005, 01:25   #1 (permalink)
92 EB II XR6

Fuel Economy down the drain

i just converted my EB xr6 to manual, and i tell ya im sucking fuel like a top fueler, Why would it be doing this?

cheers,
brad
TickfordXRFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2005, 02:41   #2 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Re: Fuel Economy down the drain

Dont press so hard with the right foot

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 02:48   #3 (permalink)

Computer issues maybe

Are all the sensors plugged in properly? It is easy to knock one when stuffing around in the engine bay.

Has the behaviour of the engine (idle quality or drivability) changed since the conversion?
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 03:40   #4 (permalink)
92 EB II XR6

yup its running real rich, idles real bad it always hunting for idle and its jerky as piss, but it does need new lower trailing arms.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:52   #5 (permalink)

I would start by checking the map sensor and the vacuum lines. I dont know about the EB's, but on my EF there are vacuum lines down near the starter motor (for switching the coolant bypass for heater) and the vacuum tree where the engine bay wiring loom comes through the firewall. If any of there come lose youll get a hunting idle and poor fuel economy.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:08   #6 (permalink)
92 EB II XR6

how do i exactly go about seeing if my MAP is rooted? what about TPS what exactly does that do i was told that might need adjusting???
Old 01-14-2005, 16:26   #7 (permalink)

TPS is the throttle position sensor. It is mounted on the side of your throttle body (sort of a rectangular black box) and it tells the computer how hard your foot is pressed on the accellerator. There is nothing you car really adjust with it though, aside from moving it 1/2 a millimeter clockwise/a-clockwise (which does bugger all).

Testing the map sensor is not really that easy. My manual says something about backprobing the connector with a tacho. Should read about 300rpm at atmospheric pressure. If the car was going fine before the conversion it still should be fine unless it has taken a knock. I would just check the vacuum likes for now.
Old 01-14-2005, 20:55   #8 (permalink)

did you also put a manual computer in, or did you keep the auto ecu, because you need to change them over otherwise they will do just that.

King spring super lows, monroes all round(also planning on getting a whiteline suspension kit, the works)

2 1/5 inch sports pipe
k&n filter insert (do not buy this, it is really worthless)
eb gt bodykit in respraying process, looking to go on soon minus spoiler.
looking for a set of s/h rims.

IF ANYONE HAS A BOOT LIP SPOILER THEY DONT WANT......
3bfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech