Fuel guage sender connection dead? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2004, 00:31   #1 (permalink)

Fuel guage sender connection dead?

Well last couple of days my fuel guage died and hasnt decided to come back to life most of the time it will so i had a look at the guage sender connector in the boot and fiddled around with it. Went in the car looked at the guage and it was working but it would just slowly drop again. So i turned the car off and on but the guage wouldnt move...So what did that mean to me well the connector is dead

My question is how do i go about replacing it? Do i pull out the 2 wires that go into it? Or do i crack open the plastic case take the wires out and put them in a new plastic piece? Or something different
Menco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2004, 02:16   #2 (permalink)

Re: Fuel guage sender connection dead?

Firstly..
What car are you talking about? Your model and year, sedan or wagon?
2.. Are the connections you mention dirty or corroded?
3.. With most (not neccessarly all) 'E' series Falcons if the fuel gauge rises to full and slowly drops back to empty when you turn the key on, it means you have an open circuit in the fuel gauge system.
4.. 'Replacing 'it'.. what do you mean by 'it'? If you mean the connector block, often a squirt with WD40 or similar, connect and reconnect will clean contacts enough to work well.
5.. Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?
6.. Read over what you type, use the odd full stop, comma or hit enter now and then so your meanings come over a bit better.
---------------------------------
rawlinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 06:59   #3 (permalink)

I have an 96 Ef sedan.The connection may just be dirly but i tried blowing it and fiddling around with the connection. There is like 2cm of rocks and dirt in the area where these connections and fuel hoses come from its crazy. I have bout $20 in the tank and it rose to where that was ment to be but then just slowly fell back down. I turned the car off and on but the guage didnt work again, so i played around with the connection and it did the same again. For replacing it i mean taking the white plastic connection where the 2 wires go into off and getting a new one because there may be dirt i cant get at in there and the wires move around a bit. I dont have a multimeter but i have a good idea how to use one.

Finally is my gramma better for u?
Menco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 20:59   #4 (permalink)

Take the connector out and check for corrosion (not as easy as it sounds)

Maybe use some WD40 or Vas (preferred) on it once it's clean
Softride Powerwing
roofi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech