Fuel Injector Cleaning, Its A Joke!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2004, 22:05   #1 (permalink)

Fuel Injector Cleaning, Its A Joke!!!

I am looking at getting my injectors cleaned on My 1987 XF (obviously EFI), as I don't know if they have ever been cleaned by the previous owner(s) so I called around, mostly mobile mechanics (they come to you) and also actual mechanic workshops. The prices to get the injectors cleaned varied from $190.60 to $220, now heres the best part, that's not even taking the injectors out!, they said they run a carbon cleaning machine through it, how the hell does this clean it?, Im sure it would get some surfce carbon buildup off the injectors, but the carbon that would really be stuck on would not be touched. But to charge $196-$220 to do this, thats a joke. Has anyone had this done? Any improvement?

Can you clean them yourself? To take the injectors out is simple as, just take the plenum chamber inlet off, and fuel rail, could I just get them out, look at them with a magnifying glass and carefully srcape the carbon off with a fine screwdriver, and let them sit in a bucket of injector cleaner overnight?

Does anyone know a workshop around Melbourne that actually takes out the injectors and inspects them and cleans them out of the engine, not in it, I heard they use some machine they put them in for a thorough clean.
fOrD mAn Xf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2004, 22:25   #2 (permalink)
White Lightning

Re: Fuel Injector Cleaning, Its A Joke!!!

i had a carbon flush done on my xr6 and it was fine. cost me about 150 if i remember and i felt the difference immediately. its not bullshit, they run something [carbon or a mix of carbon and something] through your fuel lines while its running and it just cleans them right out. yes you can do it yourself for less money and similar results but i had no clue when i had mine done so DIY wasnt an option.
Lukey Extractors, Mandrel Bent 2.5" Exhaust w/ High Flow Cat & 2 Hotdogs, Kings Springs Super Lows, KYB Short Throw Shocks, DBA Slotted Rotors [F], RDA Standard Rotors [R], Bendix Advance Pads, K&N Panel Filter
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 23:13   #3 (permalink)
MLS

Carbon Clean does work if they use the right solvent, some guys use a cheap solvent that does not work as well as the original Carbon Clean stuff, so just check that with whoever you get to do it.

The benfits for each way of cleaning....
'On car' Carbon Clean - cleans and flushes fuel lines while cleaning the injectors, also decarbons the inlet valves (great for multi-valve engines) and piston heads which can give huge improvements. With this way the injectors only get to about 85% - %90 clean though.

'Off car' ultrasonic cleaning....
Can get the injectors to near 100% clean, also allows you to change the filter baskets at the inlet of the injector whilst they are out. The down side here is that only the injectors get cleaned, not valves or anything else.

My preference would be to get the on-car done and drive it for a week, as it seems to take about that long for the benfits of the Carbon Clean to become obvious, if after that time you're not totally satisfied the injectors have cleaned get them ultra sonically cleaned.

The easiest way to find out who in your area is using the 'good stuff' for the Carbon Clean just ring PetroJect and they will probably tell you someone in the area to go to that is buying the right solvent.

Sorry about the long post, but hope it helps.
MLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 02:47   #4 (permalink)
FCT Blue eyed bucket (TM)

or just buy new injectors replace the fuel filter and clean the fuel rail with solvent, injectors don't cost much more than the price of an ultrasonic clean
Cobalt_bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 18:24   #5 (permalink)

I had a good chat with a manuracturer of a commonly used "injector cleaning machine" I presented my injectors from a '76 Benz (never touched before this) we flow tested them, gave them a good clean, and flow tested them again. There was a difference but it was minimal. These injectors had been working since 1976. When I asked him about the minimal difference in flow and pattern his answer was simple. "when you clean dirty engine parts at home have you ever used petrol as a solvent? imagine how well petrol would work as a cleaner if you filtered it first, and then applied it at pressure!!! what happens every time you drive your car?" after spending near on $200 to do someting that happens all the time anyway it's no wonder some people feel a placebo type improvement.
Old 09-30-2004, 18:49   #6 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

On my old EB, I had the injectors taken off the car and sent away to be cleaned. After repeated testing and cleaning, 2 came up good, and 4 were marginal. The 4 marginal ones were later replaced. The improvement in the car was brilliant! went from 300kms around town to over 500kms around town - with no other changes. If I had the injectors cleaned on the car, I would not have known about the 4 marginal ones.

I suppose it comes down to the car's history, regular servicing and what fuel is used. Personally, I won't bother with the on car servicing, as I can't be sure as to wether they have done a decent job or not. I'd prefer to spend a bit more, and know what the results are.
Old 09-30-2004, 18:51   #7 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by fOrD mAn Xf
I am looking at getting my injectors cleaned on My 1987 XF (obviously EFI), as I don't know if they have ever been cleaned by the previous owner(s)
by the way, have you priced a set of new injectors for your XF??
Old 09-30-2004, 19:18   #8 (permalink)

i got my injectors ultrasonicaly cleaned, they guy came out. took em off, cleaned them all , put new o rings on put it back together tookj him about 1 and a half hours and 150 bucks. I thougtht that was pretty fair. And it would have been cheaper if i took the injectors out my self!
Old 10-01-2004, 17:38   #9 (permalink)
MLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by edv8wagon
I had a good chat with a manuracturer of a commonly used "injector cleaning machine" I presented my injectors from a '76 Benz (never touched before this) we flow tested them, gave them a good clean, and flow tested them again. There was a difference but it was minimal. These injectors had been working since 1976. When I asked him about the minimal difference in flow and pattern his answer was simple. "when you clean dirty engine parts at home have you ever used petrol as a solvent? imagine how well petrol would work as a cleaner if you filtered it first, and then applied it at pressure!!! what happens every time you drive your car?" after spending near on $200 to do someting that happens all the time anyway it's no wonder some people feel a placebo type improvement.
This wouid have had the old 'K' type injectors, very rare they would improve with a clean anyway as, due to the large pintle size, they are not so affected by small amounts of tarnish.
MLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 22:28   #10 (permalink)

ok thanks guys, im getting them ultra sonic (or whatever its called) done. Seems the better option.
fOrD mAn Xf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech