Fuel Pump gone? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2004, 07:53   #1 (permalink)

Fuel Pump gone?

Hi,
I have an MPFI EA S-Pack 08/89, and its confusing the hell out of me, but I think I have narrowed it down to the fuel pump. The last two months the engine has been starting terrifically when it is cold. After it warms up it starts runs like crap for about 5 seconds then stalls, but then on the second start it starts perfectly. Just yesterday when I got home from shopping I stopped the engine to unpack it, then went to put it in the garage, it started went to reverse back then stalled. Went to start it again then the same thing. I thought leaving it for a couple of minutes would help but to no avail. I've tested the relays and I've tested the fuel pump connector and there is power going to the pump.
castawayjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2004, 23:28   #2 (permalink)

Re: Fuel Pump gone?

If you can beg, borrow or steal (metaphorically) another fuel pump to try it, you may find that's your problem.

What you describe is a common occurence with CFI systems but i've only seen one MPFI pump fail..
Maybe others can comment on their experiences?
No doubt as the cars get older and rack up more km's other problems become more common.

That said, new pumps are a bit expensive just to try it out, hence the 'borrow' or whatever if you can, or maybe find a cheap one at a wreckers .. But you're probably on the right track with thinking it's the fuel pump.
The fuel pumps for CFI and MPFI are similar but different, by the way..(different pressures)
rawlinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 08:00   #3 (permalink)

Borrowing would be the ideal thing but I'm 95% sure its the fuel pump, i've tested the relay and the fuseible link and the resistance of the pump was 100 ohms instead of 10 ohms. So hopefully it is the pump.
Old 09-12-2004, 08:17   #4 (permalink)
'87 XF Ghia

would it be the fuel filter?
XG Grille, Front Skirt, Chrome tinted tail lights

XFGHIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 14:41   #5 (permalink)
Jim Mock You Rock

Guess what..go to your injectors.Take off the fuel line to the rail.Put the hose in a bottle and turn your ignition on.Is there any fuel? or is it spitting out?If nothing is happening..go to your back boot and find the connector in your boot to the pump.Do the connections look dirty?Unplug and check them.Go back and turn the key to ignition...any fuel?Ok no fuel?Pull the shitty relay out of its connector..Get a relay from next to it and plug it in.Now turn ignition on and check for fuel flow again..anything?If not 1 last test is ..get a test light.Turn ignition on chech for voltage and earth at the pump before it goes into the tank...if not get a pump..
useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 03:53   #6 (permalink)

I have checked the fuel pump connecter and there is power there and the connections are clean. I've checked the relay as well. I also remember the pump whining much more as now there is silence.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:05   #7 (permalink)
Jim Mock You Rock

Can you see the top of the pump?Get a rag ..a hammer and give it a gentle tap or 2..ffs dont hit it hard ok?Then click the ignition on and try and start the car..If your pump moaned like theres no tommorow id be getting a new pump..
useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 01:51   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Guess what..
Go to your injectors.
Take off the fuel line to the rail.
Put the hose in a bottle and turn your ignition on.
Is there any fuel? or is it spitting out?
If nothing is happening..go to your back boot and find the connector in your boot to the pump.
Do the connections look dirty?
Unplug and check them.
Go back and turn the key to ignition...any fuel?
Ok no fuel?
Pull the shitty relay out of its connector..Get a relay from next to it and plug it in.
Now turn ignition on and check for fuel flow again..anything?
If not 1 last test is ..get a test light.
Turn ignition on chech for voltage and earth at the pump before it goes into the tank...
if not get a pump..
That's a damn good test proceedure 'useless'..
(especially the relay and tank connections.. they do get grotty)

Tell you what, if I can borrow it you can buy the forums, as long as the rest of us can still use it.. for free of course..
rawlinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > The Garage - Tech Forums > Engine Specific Tech > Inline 6 Tech